Yamaha receivers, can you re-assign optical inputs?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Matt_Smi, May 28, 2004.

1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

I am looking at the Yamaha RX-V650 (Link Below) or the 5760 (pretty much the same thing) and I thought of something that could be a problem, does the receiver let you re-assign its inputs? For example, I would want my CD player in the receivers MD/CDR optical input, and my PS2 in its DTV/CBL input, would it allow me to reassign these inputs to the CD and TV input? Also I need to hook my computer into my receiver as well, there is no AUX input on the Yamaha, would I be able to plug it into the MD input and then rename that input to computer (rather than MD)? I know that Denon and Onkyo receivers let you assign the digital inputs to whichever source you want, I hope that the Yamaha can do this as well, and does not lock you into using only the named source. If anyone who owners either of these receivers could let me know if you can re-assign inputs that would be great, thanks.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/RECEIVER/RX-V650.htm

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The Denon’s digital inputs are given as 1,2, 3, etc., which is what you typically see with assignable inputs. However, according to the picture of the rear panel at the link you provided, all the digital inputs of the Yamaha are specifically labeled. This indicates to me that they are not assignable.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Yeah that’s what I am thinking, my current Sony is like the Yamaha, and the two digital optical inputs are labeled DVD/LD and TV/SAT and you cannot re-assign them, so my fear is that the Yamaha might be the same. I believe that most receivers allow you to rename the sources, so changing "MD" to "computer" should not be a problem. The Yamaha has a coax input for CD, but my CD player only have a digital optical out.

4. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

On the other hand, while I may be missing something significant here, does it really matter that you have a computer plugged into, say, the MD input?

Right now, I've got my DVD player plugged into the optical port marked PC/DTV, and my computer plugged into the coax port also marked PC/DTV, and 'auto' switch between them as needed.

Does it really matter that the port isn't named right?

Leo Kerr
    [email protected]

5. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

6. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Thanks Jamie, I checked out the manuel and it does indeed have it. And Leo, it does not really matter, but I would rather have everything plugged in so they correspond with their correct sources, it makes things more organized and easier.