Yamaha Receivers 3300 vs 2400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jerry_Whit, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Jerry_Whit

Jerry_Whit Auditioning

Wanted to get some advice / opinions / comparison on the "new" Yamaha RX-V2400 and the "phased out" RX-V3300 receiver. (I may still have some ways to get my hands on a 3300.)

I auditioned the 3300 a year or so ago versus the Denon 3803, really liked the Yamaha, but it dropped off the priority list. I have an older Yamaha 5-channel DPL receiver and it has worked flawlessly over the years. I want to buy a Yamaha receiver, it's just a matter of which one and how much to spend (the flagships are out). I have yet to listen to the 2400, but I'm visiting my local Tweeter soon. I thought this forum would help me get prepared ...

In general, I've heard the 3300 referred to a one-step below a flagship unit. I think the power amps are better on the 3300?

The 2400 has THx certification, YPAO, video upconversion. The users on this forum have presented mixed reviews of YPAO. It would be nice to have IMO, but it is ideally a one-time setup thing, not a constantly used feature. I wouldn't be using the video-up right now, but it could be good to have for future setups.

Some of my criteria are ...
    1. Power Amp quality and clarity
    2. Multi Room - triggers, RS-232 control, etc ... I will be using this receiver to feed my whole house Niles amplifier.
    3. Remote control that my wife can easily understand ... well, not all things are possible. [​IMG]

Anyway, would enjoy hearing your comments, especially those of you that have auditioned, owned, or considered both models. Thanks.

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

If you dont need the YPAO feature then the 3300 is the way to go because the amp quite abit beefier.

[​IMG]

3. Paul His

Paul His Agent

I did a lengthy side-by-side comparison of the 2400 and 3300 at an audio shop recently, and was fortunate enough to be able to listen to them on the same speakers I have at home (PSB's).

I found the 3300 to have significantly more depth and dynamic range than the 2400. There was nothing actually wrong with the 2400 but the 3300 sound was clearly superior to my ears.

I thought that for myself the YPAO would only be an interesting one-time thing. I knew I could live without the S-video to component capability as the 3300 amp can still do all the video switching - it just needs one more s-vid cable run to the projector in addition to the component cables.

After my listening session (about 2 weeks ago) I bought the 3300, with arrangements to return it the next day if I didn't like it. It's still here at home [​IMG]

Paul H

4. Don Barduca

Don Barduca Stunt Coordinator

Hell, all you need is to look at the above pictures of the two. No contest. Go with the 3300. It was still too pricey when I bought my current receiver to attain but the cost they are going for now is like 50% of what I came across half a year ago.

5. MuneebM

MuneebM Supporting Actor

How much more superior was the sound quality according to you? I mean, can you quantify it in terms of dollars of difference? I'm really considering the RX-V2400, but if I can get the RX-V3300 from a local dealer at a good price, I might as well go with that.

What features besides YPAO and video upconversion is the 3300 lacking? Can you set the crossover for each individual speaker with the 3300? I'd like to run my front towers at 40 Hz and the rest at 60/80 Hz, would this be possible with the 3300? Is this even possible with the 2400?