Yamaha Receiver Video Switching Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ralph Summa, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

At present, I have all of my video sources (HD STB, SD STB, Progressive DVD and VCR) plugged directly into my Mits 55807. (All audio goes directly into my Yamaha HTR 5490 A/V receiver.) I have been thinking about connecting all video sources to my Yamaha, then connecting the Mits through the Yamaha's component output. I would like to take advantage of my receiver's high bandwidth input switching which will make life easier for my wife and I, as we change from Teletubbies on VHS to Shrek DVD to Jay Jay the Jet Plane on DirecTV all in a 15 minute span! Our two year-old has quite an attention span!

Now my question:

If a device is hooked into the Yamaha receiver through composite RCA video cable (VCR) or S-Video (SD STB), will the signal be passed through the component out to Mits? Or, must I hook up the Mits to the Yamaha's composite output and S-Video output as well?

Thanks,

Ralph

2. David John

David John Stunt Coordinator

It will only pass same type signals...meaning:

the composite video out will only display what you have hooked up with composite cables.

The S-video will only switch what you have hooked up with the s-video.

The component video.. etc.

You will have to switch the TV's inputs between composite, s-video, and component as needed.

Some receivers will do Composite to s-video conversion, but i think only the Denon 5800 and some other top of the line will convert to component video also.

3. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

Nuts! I was also hoping to add a red-push attenuator to my component out and control red-push across all inputs. Wishful thinking....

Thanks for your help David.

Ralph

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I like running the high-quality sources straight to the TV. But many of these also offer SVideo, so I'd run SVideo from everything into the receiver, then a single feed from the receiver to the TV.

With this, leaving the TV set to look at the SVideo feed makes operation simple. (Hint: go buy that cheap $20 Composite to SVideo converter from Radio Shack. Your child will not care about the quality loss).

But when you sit down to watch TV, you take the extra step to flip the TV input to the HD-STB or Progressive feed.

This seems to give you the best of both worlds.