What's new

Yamaha receiver speaker delay settings. (1 Viewer)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I have a Yamaha RX-V1200 and I absolutly love it. One thing about this receiver though is that it seems to have so many parameter settings that its easy to get confused. When you set speaker delays for the surrounds, how do you do it, and does it apply to all modes (i.e. DD, DTS, DPLII and all the DSPs)?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well, one thing I just realized is that I was confusing the speaker delay settings with the DSP parameter settings. The speaker delay settings are pretty similar to most other receivers I've setup, but the parameters allow for something like 10 parameter adjustments for each soundfield. That would be a LOT of tweaking.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Charles,

You only need to worry about setting the delay for the modes you use. Don’t worry about all the others.

The delay for DPL and DPL II should be set for 10ms at the seating position, compared to the front speakers. In other words, if your fronts are 8 ft. away, and the rears are 6 ft. away, your delay should be 12ms. If the rears were 11 ft. away, the delay would be 7ms.

The delay for DD and DTS should be 0ms. Thus in the first example, the setting would be 2ms.

There are no specific rear delay settings for the music modes, so no reason to worry about them.

As far as the other settings go for the DSP soundfields, there’s no reason to change them unless you think you need to. I found a few that I like, like Cellar Club for music, for instance, and merely change the “Effect Trim” setting if I want more or less of the effect.

I did modify parameter settings for a few modes. The Mono Movie mode was too “echoey” for my tastes, so I experimented with reducing the various parameters until the echo was gone. Now the speakers basically replicate the sound from the center channel, with just enough delay, reverb, etc. to give a full sound, more enjoyable than just the center channel alone (which is what DPL would give).

I increased most of the parameters of the 70mm Spectacle mode to imitate a medium-sized auditorium. This works great for programs live talk show like Leno and Letterman – gives more of a “you are there” feeling.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks