What's new

Yamaha Receiver registering audio as video - Can't use Pro Logic (1 Viewer)

Nico Morgan

Auditioning
Real Name
Nico
First of all, apologies if this is the wrong forum, it could have fitted in several.

I have a simple system based around my PC. I watch video on a second monitor attached to the PC but also listen to music through the same system.

My PC has on-board sound with three output jacks. It also has a GPU and my audio store advised me to connect the receiver to the PC from an HDMI port on the GPU, so that is how it is configured.

This means that Windows sees the receiver as a monitor but I can live with this.

Video works just fine. I get proper 5.1 sound which is fine for my purposes. One day I will have a proper man cave but not just yet.

The problems come when I listen to audio. Because the input to the receiver is HDMI it thinks everything is Video and doesn't give me access to the Surround Decode options in the receiver which I would like to use to enable Dolby Pro Logic when listening to 2 channel music, and use the theater speakers to make it sound more 3D.

To confuse things even more, if I stream music from my phone to a Chromecast in another of the receiver's HDMI ports it does register that this is sound and give me the DPL options.

So, it seems to be the GPU connection which tells the receiver it is getting video. Any ideas on how to avoid this?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It has to be something else. It can't register audio as video.

Nico Morgan

Auditioning
Real Name
Nico
OK of you say so.

The Input from the PC doesn't give me the surround decode options, the other input does.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Because the input to the receiver is HDMI it thinks everything is Video
My point is you are making an assumption with this statement that is not correct. I don't know what the problem is, possibly something in the configuration of the hdmi output on your GPU, possibly not. It is NOT because the connection is through hdmi. Try a different hdmi input on the receiver and see if that makes a difference, because it could be something in how the input you are using is configured. Nothing specific comes to mind for me, but maybe it will for someone else.

Nico Morgan

Auditioning
Real Name
Nico
I take your point.

The reason I thought this might be the case is that the manual seems to assume you will connect an audio device using Coax cables and not HDMI. There are separate inputs for it, Problem is my GPU only has HDMI or DP outputs. If I use the green 3.5mm jack from my motherboard audio output would that be a mistake?

Just to confirm, changing the input port I connect the PC to doesn't make an difference. Same issue. Will investigate to see if I can change the output settings on the GPU (GTX 960)

Nico Morgan

Auditioning
Real Name
Nico
I'm making some progress.

Reading a thread elsewhere I was prompted to check what signal is being received by the receiver. It's a 5.1 PCM signal. This would explain why the receiver won't allow me to use DPLII.

So if my PC is ALWAYS sending a 5.1 signal, whether the media is video or audio, how do I fix that? Should I not bother?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm making some progress.

Reading a thread elsewhere I was prompted to check what signal is being received by the receiver. It's a 5.1 PCM signal. This would explain why the receiver won't allow me to use DPLII.

So if my PC is ALWAYS sending a 5.1 signal, whether the media is video or audio, how do I fix that? Should I not bother?
Yeah, that explains a lot. It's telling the receiver it's receiving 5.1 channels, even when it's two channels. There's probably no workaround for that, unless the computer/GPU lets you change it's settings to indicate what the actual output is. I've guessing you want to play actual 5.1 material from the same source?

Yeah, you can use the 3.5mm output to an analog input on the receiver, using a 3.5mm to RCA cable. There might be some loss of audio quality, but it will allow you to do what you want, and it might be the only solution.

Nico Morgan

Auditioning
Real Name
Nico
I've solved it, in a fashion. Will post here in case it helps others.

When setting up my system in Windows 10 I followed the Configuration wizard for the connection my AVR is attached to, choosing 5.1 as the configuration and rear speakers as opposed to side ones.

When I did this I didnt realise that this meant Windows would always send a 5.1 signal regardless of whether it was playing a 5.1 source or a 2.1 source.

In short, if I am playing music I have to right-click on the speaker in the application bar and tell Windows my system is now a 2 speaker system for the duration, then switch it back if I play a movie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks