Yamaha Receiver Owners (and specifically 2095 owners) Ohms

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rein, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Chris Rein

Chris Rein Stunt Coordinator

Hello!

I've got a question....

I have a Yamaha 2095 receiver. I am currently powering Klipsch speakers (rated 8 ohms) all around the room. So, I have the switch on the back set to 8 ohms all around.

Now, I am getting a brand spankin' new speaker system which will replace my Klipsch's in the next week or two. The speakers I'm getting is the M&K S-150THX system. These speakers are all rated at 4 ohms. Now, should I flip the switch on the back and run them all at 4 ohms? or should I just keep the Yamaha on 8 ohm setting?

Please let me know which and why. I've always been confused on how ohms work in a home theater system. Would I be driving or underdriving the M&Ks by keeping it at the 8 ohm setting? A confused HT nut wants to know!

Thanks!

Chris

2. Jim Thompson

Jim Thompson Agent

My guess is that unless you are continually driving

the new 4 ohm load really loud and taxing the power

supply of the 2095,you'll be alright.My Paradigms are

nominally rated for 6 ohms and I've never had a problem

with my 2095.However,if you wanna play it safe,Yamaha

directs you to switch the impedance on the back.

Right now I'm using an outboard amplifier(Krell).and have caught the separates bug.Aren't those Klipsch with that

2095 a bit brite,or is that the reason for the speaker upgrade?

3. Chris Rein

Actually, they never really sounded too bright for me. They sounded clean. However, approach any level of reference and you'll see me cringe a bit! [​IMG]
    As for the upgrade, I've always loved the S-150 from M&K. They have a wonderful sound. The money was always the reason I didn't have them. Just recently, I was presented an opportunity that I couldn't pass up, so I went for it. I can't wait. On the other hand, I do like the sound of the Klipsch horns.
    So, are you saying to flip the switch to 4 ohms or keep it at 8? I guess I could do a test of some sort to see which is better.
    Also, I am looking into the separates. I have given some thought into getting an amp and using the Yammie as a pre/pro. How's that working for you? And which Krell do you have?
    Thanks!

4. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The 2095 is still one sweet piece isn't it. I had one for a couple of years and recently went to a RX-V1.... also a very sweet piece......

Anyway, I ran some 4 ohm speakers on my 2095 and after some forum advice, I left the switch on 8 ohm and made sure the 2095 had plenty of airspace around it. Never had a problem. Either way you go, you probably will not notice any difference in the sound.

I've heard some M&Ks on the high end Yamahas and I really liked the smoothness as opposed to the Klipsh sometimes being a little edgy at louder volumes....

I also used some Marantz mono-blocks as amplification with the 2095 as a pre and again, everything worked great but not enough difference for me to rebuild my entertainment center to accomodate them so I ended up selling the Marantz.

Again, experiment a little for yourself but either way, you'll be fine as long as the receiver can breath adequately.

5. Chris Rein

Thanks guys!

I'll play with both positions and test the waters.

Danny, yes, I still love the 2095. No matter how long I have it on, it never gets warm. I think I might try going the pre/pro route soon (with the 2095), but who knows. I'll just sit tight and wait to see how the M&K S150's sound.

Thanks!

Chris

6. Robert Elliott

Robert Elliott Stunt Coordinator

Thought I would jump in and speak to my experience and then tell you about a couple issues I have discovered with my Yamaha (leading to some real dissatisfaction.)

I have an all Klipsch setup rated at 94db across the board but the two mains are 6ohm speakers. The receiver has never had a problem being set at 8ohms across the board but you will immediately recognize the 6ohm speakers are much louder than the others.

Now for the issues. Cross-talk. Was watching a DVD last night when I put it on pause. Could hear something that didn't seem right. Cranked up the volume and I could hear music. A little switching around and I learned I was listening to the tuner while the receiver was set to DVD. I was disappointed to say the least. It is dependent on volume level but I found it disturbing that it bleeds over.

Speaker levels. Listening to music in 4 channel modes - rock, concert hall, etc. - I have found I must increase the balance level to the right surround by 9 db otherwise all the sound from the rear appears to come from the left surround - the right is playing it just is very low in comparison. Good enough, annoying, but I can live with it. Changing the mode to 5 channel however is disconcerting because now all rear sound appears to come from the speaker adjusted up by 9 db. Pardon me, but switching modes should not cause the volume levels of the rear surrounds to become completely out of whack. We are not talking subtle here.

Has anyone else run into either of these issues with the Yamaha or any other processor for that matter. I have the 995 and was always disapponted listening to music on it in pro-logic modes - instead of a front stage you have a center speaker with low volume surrounds on the front and the rears are negligible at best. Frankly, I was considering adding an outboard amp and later grabbing a pre/pro. These two (three) issues have largely pushed me over the edge and I am seriously considering just biting the bullet and jumping to separates sooner than later.

Your experiences?