What's new

Yamaha receiver keeps shutting down! (1 Viewer)

Hendryk

Auditioning
I just picked up a used Yamaha R-V502 receiver. It appears to be in good working order except for one thing. When I connect all 4 speakers in the rear of the unit, the receiver will shut off. If I connect only 2 speakers, it stays on.

The speakers are from the mid-70's (2 are from an old Sears stereo system, the other 2 were built from parts from Radio Shack). I had an old Denon receiver that accomodated these speakers for many years until it, too, started to shut down (it never powered back up).

Does it sound like 2 of my speakers have just gone bad? Or did I get a bad receiver?

Thanks!

Hendryk

Auditioning
I just picked up a used Yamaha R-V502 receiver. It appears to be in good working order except for one thing. When I connect all 4 speakers in the rear of the unit, the receiver will shut off. If I connect only 2 speakers, it stays on.

The speakers are from the mid-70's (2 are from an old Sears stereo system, the other 2 were built from parts from Radio Shack). I had an old Denon receiver that accomodated these speakers for many years until it, too, started to shut down (it never powered back up).

Does it sound like 2 of my speakers have just gone bad? Or did I get a bad receiver?

Thanks!

Chris Brock

Second Unit
are we talking about a 2 channel reciever and you are connecting a pair of speakers to the A speaker output and another to the B speaker output? if that is true then it might be possible that you are running the reciever at to low of an impedance.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
are we talking about a 2 channel reciever and you are connecting a pair of speakers to the A speaker output and another to the B speaker output? if that is true then it might be possible that you are running the reciever at to low of an impedance.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I think that is a surround receiver. You need to check the wiring and speakers. What impedance speakers are they and do they sound ok when you play them separately in stereo mode?

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
I think that is a surround receiver. You need to check the wiring and speakers. What impedance speakers are they and do they sound ok when you play them separately in stereo mode?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I would take the two that usually make it turn off, and connect just them. See if turns off then. If it does, then it may be something with those speakers. Makes sure the wires aren't frayed at either end for each speaker (at speaker and at receiver). If it's frayed, and a wire is touching something it shouldn't, it will put receiver in protect mode, and turn it off.
Good luck!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I would take the two that usually make it turn off, and connect just them. See if turns off then. If it does, then it may be something with those speakers. Makes sure the wires aren't frayed at either end for each speaker (at speaker and at receiver). If it's frayed, and a wire is touching something it shouldn't, it will put receiver in protect mode, and turn it off.
Good luck!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Henry,

Sounds like you have some low-impedence speakers there, like 4-ohm or lower. Most modern A/V receivers aren’t too tolerant of them. It may have what fried your Denon, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Henry,

Sounds like you have some low-impedence speakers there, like 4-ohm or lower. Most modern A/V receivers aren’t too tolerant of them. It may have what fried your Denon, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks