1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha Receiver? Correct Choice for this setup??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by braden, Sep 6, 2004.

1. braden

braden Agent

Need some Help here.

Speakers:

HSU sub, either VTF-3 MK2 or STF-3
    (any suggestions??)

JBL all the way around.. Thinking EC35, EC30's and not sure on fronts??? EC30-80-90?? (any suggestions?? JBL good??or should I go another route??)Thought about Swans/Axioms/Klispch???

However, I was thinking about HK 630 but was told to spend less on electronics and go with Yamaha RX-V650 or the Yamaha HTR-5760.....

Trying to complete HT for about $1500-1800, I think budget on Receiver would be under $500...

Any input would be awesome...

I am craving to get my first system and I want to have a sweet one..

PS Almost bought BOSE,,, Great thing I found this site!!!!

2. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I love my HSU VTF3-MkII. Does all I need it to and more. I ended up purchasing a Yamaha HTR-5790 which I also am very happy with. The Yamaha's had all the features I wanted and the price was right. The 5760 should serve you well. Don't know much about the JBL's except for listening to a pair of E90's in a BB a few months ago. Only caught a few seconds of them as I was walking by.

3. braden

braden Agent

eddie, what are the major differences in the two yamaha's??
    what speakers are you using with the HSU? any idea on the difference in the vtf3 and stf3??

I am really new at this and want to get the best bang for my buck...

Any suggestions??

4. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

The RXV650 and the 5760 are basically the same receiver, if not the same. They are just sold in different retail environments.

I just installed a 5760 at my father in laws this weekend and it rocks. He's running a full set of PSB bookshelves, sub, center and surrounds. Sounds awesome and the PL2x decoding is awesome.

Mine arrives next week.

5. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

i concur with the above comments about the 5760. it is pretty shocking to get it home and hear its performance and realize how much you paid for it. best bang for the buck on the market right now IMO.

6. braden

braden Agent

is it worth the money to go to the 5790 or should i stay at the 5760,,, found it to be about $200 cheaper..

also, chris, what speakers are you running with??

7. JustinG

JustinG Stunt Coordinator

some people say that it's worth it but I don't know. Supposedly it has component switching, component OSD, and actual parametric part of the YPAO auto-setup. If that's worth 200 extra go for it.

BTW, the YPAO is really cool. I hadn't ever played with an auto-setup before like from Pioneer or HK. But this was very, very simple. It only took about 10 minutes to run it's course. I plan on doing that and then tweaking with an SPL.

8. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

actually the 5760 does do component switching but it does not do component upconversion like the 5790. all of my sources are component already so i didnt really see a benefit for myself there. the real major differences is the thx processing on the 5790 and the additional parametric eq on the 5790. neither of those I felt were worth the extra 200.

my speakers are actually DIY. they are a MTM setup using Vifa mids and Morel tweets. http://bigchris.caraudioplanet.com/B...3/DSCF0032.JPG

9. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

I've got Athenas and the RX-V730, I really like the Yammy. When I bought it, I compared it to a Denon 1603 and liked the clearer highs of the Yammy. I have Athena AS-B2s all around except for the centre channel which is the Athena AS-C1. For a sub, I have a Shiva in a 54L sealed which is going to be a 95L vented in about amonth if the weather holds out.
    Go to Adire audio if you don't want to build one yourself. Here is a link:Adire Audio
    I believe they are the best bang for the buck![​IMG]

10. John*DB

John*DB Stunt Coordinator

BRADEN

Just FYI, I am getting my 1st real system as well.

I am getting the following:

E20s - Front and Rear
    EC35 - Center
    E250 - Sub
    Yamaha 5760
    Infocus Projector 4805

I feel pretty confident in my set up from advice from everyone one here.

11. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The Yamaha is well known to be brighter sounding...whether than makes for clearer highs or over accentuated highs (in my experience) depends on your listening tastes. The key is experimentation and auditioning.

12. Eddie Horton

My Yamaha's doesn't have that "bright" sound. I subcribe to the theory that speaker choice makes more difference in the sound than the receiver. Also, Braden, the above posters were right about the differences between the 5760 and 90. Less watts, no parametric EQ, etc. Still one of the best bang for the buck receivers right now. BTW, I'm using mine with Ascend Acoustics CMT-340's for the front three and CBM-170's for surround with the VTF3-MkII. Very pleased with this setup.

13. braden

braden Agent

eddie

I have thought of getting the same system that you have, how does that setup sound, I am very new at this and need some advice..... Can I go bookshelf all the way around or floor speakers better??

I think I have it down to the Ascends/Axioms/JBL

Any advice??

Eddie, how is that sub, work in my room?? could I go less with like the SFT-2/3??

14. braden

braden Agent

Eddie

Buy the way, how much total do have in that system??

15. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Drew,

Actually, Yamaha used to have a brighter sound on their older receivers. The HTR-5560 that I had was extremely bright. The HTR-5760 that I had was quite neutral and pleasant sounding.

16. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Interesting...although I will still bet that the sound is not quite as warm as an H/K or Marantz or something similar. We all have different ears though so YMMV.

17. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Drew,

You've got a good point there - a bit more warmness on the H/K and Marantz receivers.

However, a few weeks back I heard the following:

Pioneer Elite 54TX
    Yamaha RX-V750
    Denon AVR-3805

The Yamaha seemed the most musical to me. The Denon was 2nd and the Elite was last. Granted, all 3 were close in sound, but there were differences that distinguished each one.

But, I jumped on the 54TX. Getting it setup in my home environment revealed some great sounds and great performance. But, I did have some major buyer's remorse as the 54TX was on its way to me and I had the HTR-5760 on my shelf. Thank goodness, there were enough improvements in the 54TX to make me feel better about the upgrade - but, not sure if it was worth the $480 cost to upgrade.

18. braden

braden Agent

UPDATE !!!!!!!!

Just purchased the HK AVR630 and ordered the SVS 20-39PCi today...Went a little over budget, but heard good things about both systems.. Now have to complete the system..Need some help here AGAIN!!!!

Ascends
    Swans
    Axiom

Any suggestions???

19. Nigel Hooper

Nigel Hooper Stunt Coordinator

The 57xx and 1400/2400 series most certainly are not bright whatsoever. The HK and Marantz err on the warm side at the expense of detail.

20. Eddie Horton

Braden, I love my Ascends. They are very detailed without any harshness. I paid 1800 for the speakers and sub, but for 340's across the front and 170's in rear for a 5.1 setup, you could get it for about 1200. I have never had a second of buyers remorse with these speakers, even after listening to a Paradigm rig my friend has which cost substantially more than mine.