Yamaha Receiver and Main Speaker Level Adjusting

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Cesar*P, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Cesar*P

Cesar*P Extra

I have a Yamaha HTR-5550 Receiver and JBL-26 speakers for the mains. I was looking at the Yamaha FAQ section and ran across the following tip:
    AGAIN, TO SUMMARIZE, YOU CANNOT ADJUST THE MAIN SPEAKER LEVEL TO MATCH THE CENTER AND EFFECT SPEAKERS. YOU MUST ADJUST THE CENTER AND EFFECT SPEAKERS TO MATCH THE MAIN SPEAKERS.

Is this the case for the majority of DD/DTS receivers or are there some receivers where you can also adjust the speaker level of the mains? Will it be possible to still calibrate my mains using the Sound & Vision or Avia DVD along with an SPL meter as a lot of people in this forum has done?

2. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I don't know why certain receiver manufacturers even offer adjustable mains levels since this can remove the user's only sound level "reference point" and can cause too much confusion.

Your mains will be your sound level reference point when you turn them up--using the receiver's volume knob--to a level that you would normally listen to a movie, then you adjust all the other speakers to match the mains. If needed, you can also use the balance control to fine tune the mains if you sit off-center from them.

LJ

3. Cesar*P

Cesar*P Extra

Alright, so I'll take your response that having a nonadjustable main speaker leveler on the receiver is the norm. I'm just jumping into calibrating my home theater so I wanted to be sure that I'm not missing out as far as needing to adjust the speaker level for the mains.

4. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

It seems like an odd statement - even for an FAQ.

My HTR-5630 (Which I *assume* isn't entirely dissimilar) pretty much lets me adjust everything willy-nilly. But I also *assume* that you've been through it all, else you'd not be looking in the FAQ.

It seems to me though, that it's more a matter of perspective depending on where you drive the stake in the ground. You can, after all, adjust the left main separately from the right main (and from everything else). True?

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Only with the balance control.

If you think about it, if there are several things that need to match up, the order you should adjust things are:

- The device with the least adjustments first
    - The devices with more flexible adjustments to match

I think a lot of people are confused with a HT system because they believe the center speaker is the most important speaker and figure it should be the "master" and all the other speakers should adjust to match. Some frustrated tech-support person probably wrote the FAQ after explaining the real workings numerous times.

6. Stephen Weller

I've read exactly that in articles written by "experts." The logic was that center must not only perform the same task as the mains, but also produce the dialog at the same time. They seem to draw this conclusion while forgetting that in any digital system, all the speakers (excluding subs) must perform all the same tasks, at any given time.

How did we [rant]ever[/rant] survive stereo with only two-way speakers! [​IMG]

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Uhhhhh....I think you mean that each speaker must be able to perform with full-range signals.

The "Duty Cycle" (Amount of usage throughout a movie) is 100% for a center, about 40-60% for the L/R and about 20% for the rears.

8. Stephen Weller

You're right. I have timber-matching embedded in my thought process. I hadn't considered duty cycle before. IYO - How significant a factor is duty cycle to a speaker?

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Cesar- Did you get your question answered? I hope so. I hate to 'hijack' the thread and get off topic if you still have questions. Let us know.

It's not that it's significant, but that it is strange when you look at prices.

The center speaker of a set is often 1/3 or 1/2 the price of the matching L/R towers, yet they contain the identical drivers, crossover and connections. The matching rears are usually less than that.

The center is cheaper, yet does more work (duty cycle) and has a harder job because it produces dialog, music and special effects all at the same time.

(To try and drag us back on topic)

People know this about the center which may be why the Yamaha FAQ tries to break the idea that you set the volume on the center first, then get the others to match. (or thats my guess at the odd emphasis in the FAQ).