Yamaha: Passes Analog Direct

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I was never sure about my RXV-800 so I finally emailed YamahaUSA tech. Here's the response...

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It still gets re-digitized to perform bass management. True analog bypass is only achieved through the 6 channel external decoder inputs.

DJ

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

oh well, I see this issue slinking to the bottom of the board and disappearing without truly being resolved.

I'll have to think about this bass management digitizing. We're just talking Yamaha here.......

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It's been resolved already--that's the way the Yamahas work. If you want to test it for yourself, go to the CD input, set the input type to "analog", set the speakers to small, and check for subwoofer activity. Obviously, it has to redigitize to perform bass management. Going into processor direct mode only bypasses tone controls & bass extension.

Yamahas do not have a parallel bass management system like some of the higher end Denons.

Again, you have to use the 6 channel inputs to have true analog bypass.

DJ

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

David, help me understand.

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Bill,

What David is trying to explain is that the crossover is implemented digitally by Yamaha. If you have your speakers set to "Small" the signal is converted to digital to accomplish the bass management, the the three signals (L/R/Sub) are converted back to analog for amplification.

7. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

What if they're set to large? no sub

8. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Phillip, thanks. This is the first I've read, or been given to understand, that bass management (for Yamaha, altho it implies it's universal) falls in the digital realm.

...just wanting to optimize my system, especially since I got some nice analog BetterCables for my CD.

This is a rock-and-a-hard place --- live with a DAC in the amp or use the 6Chl inputs for L/R and set speakers to Large. The latter is worth a try since I have Paradigm floorstanders.

hey, just some more quality listening to do; that's why it's a hobby.

bill

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The only reason to implement tone controls, bass management, etc. in the digital domain is either pure engineering laziness or cost-cutting as far as I'm concerned. All of these functions can be implemented analog, but it's more expensive to implement than using a DSP. Also, if your company specializes in DSPs it makes sense to work to your strength.

One of the best things about my pre/pro (and the receiver that it replaced as well) is that there is no analog to digital conversion used unless a DSP is applied. TOne controls, bass management, etc. are all handled in the analog domain where they belong (IMO).

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Don’t most Yamaha receivers still use analog tone controls? Makes little sense to use analog bass and treble controls and digital crossover processing.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I'm not exactly sure on how the analog direct mode works, but this is what I found tonight with my RX-V1. When I choose the direct mode, the sub still works however the bass, treble, and balance controls do not. According to the web site the processor direct switch does the following:

PROCESSOR DIRECT SWITCH

The RX-V1 has a Processor Direct Switch that when engaged, provides a direct signal connection between the processor board and the power amplifier section. As a result, the digital volume device avoids the wiring on the circuit board, thus bypassing all control circuits. This shortens the signal path, feeding the pure, robust signal directly to the eight amplification channels for cleaner, more efficient operation and higher quality sound.

So I guess this means the RX-V1 still does conversion unless you use the 5.1 input.

12. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

The question is whether -- or how -- Yamaha models may or may not provide an "analog direct" mode.

The RX-V1 is certainly more robust in features than the RX-V800 and may be more sophisticated...

The 800 PROCESSOR DIRECT ON/OFF manual blurb goes:

"When pushed in (ON), Bass, Treble and Bass Extension are bypassed, eliminating any alteration of the original signal."

Since I never use tone and bass extension controls, I always regarded the Processor Direct button useless to me.

But it warrants closer listening to sonic qualities in on/off tests.

13. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I've noticed that using the 'processor direct' button on my RX-V1000 makes absolutely no difference in sound if I have my Bass and Treble at neutral and all effects turned off.

I use the DACs in my Yamaha CDC-775 instead of the receiver and use the standard CD analog inputs on my receiver.

I use the 6.1 inputs for DVD-Audio and the bass management setting that I use for everything else still apply to the 6.1 inputs.