1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha Owners: DSPs discussion thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleR, Mar 7, 2002.

1. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

Hey y'all!
    i own a yamaha and find that they generally get short shrift on this forum. i think my yammie is great. but i must confess a few things... i bought it in spite of the dsps instead of because of them. now, however, i find myself using them more and more and have a major gripe with the lack of info surrounding them, eg. how they work and how to tweak them etc. if you like the dsps and know how to play with them can you share that info with me and others? fer instance...
    how does 5 channel stereo compare to dpl ll both in terms of stereo movies (stereo and surround encoded video tapes) and 2 channel music?
    i have the rx-v520 so i don't have the flexibility of say the rx-v3200 but it's still a capable receiver and i would like to get all i can from it.
    c'mon guys let's not let the onkyo, marantz, denon et. al. drones have all the fun![​IMG]

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I have an RXV1000 and I like two or three of the DSPs. I use the Movie Theater DSPs during some movies. Mine has a Movie Theater 'SPECTACLE' that I used for action movies. I also will use Movie Theater 'GENERAL'. 80% of the time, I have mine on 'NORMAL' decoding.

As far as 5 channel stereo for CD listening, I like it sometimes. It depends on what I am doing. If I am sitting down and actually listening to music, I don't use it. If I am all over the house doing whatever, I will turn it on.

I've never 'tweaked' my DPSs. From what I understand, you can change some of the parameters of the delays or whatever. I have no idea what I would be doing so I don't mess with it.

All I know is my Yamaha rocks and sounds good to me. I paid $1000.00 for my RX-V1000 since I bought it when they were pretty new to the market. I still think I got a bargain for the performance/quality/reliability.

3. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I have a DSP-A3090 so maybe my info is from the old days, but I find I only change a few of the settings in the parameters. I've changed the liveliness settings and the timing/delay based on how I have my speakers set.

I just moved and have all my bookshelf speakers sitting on the floor (!) instead of up high enough to get over the couch. I can definitely tell that things have changed, so I just reset all my parameters for DSPs. Now to start over. :)

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I've got an RX-V1 but I don't use the DSPs too much. I have found some of the jazz halls work nicely for most music, but typically I do plain old stereo. For movies and TV I often use DPL or DD enhanced. However occasionally that causes an echo on dialog. I don't have the 5-channel stereo option with mine, at least I don't think I do. I haven't tweaked mine either.

I don't think there's any bias against Yamaha on this forum. It appears to me that most discussions here center on the latest and greatest, and once the new Yamaha top of the line receiver comes, you'll probably see a lot of discussion on that. In their last few cycles Yamaha has lagged behind on some of the new features. Thus their popularity has wained a bit. But a few years back when the DSP-A1 first showed up, it seemed like everyone on here had one. Then the Denon 5700 came along, but the RX-V1 didn't do enough to displace that and the Denon 5800 topped it a bit. Lately there's been a lot of reasonably priced pre/pros coming along, so those may outnumber all receiver discussions for a while. But generally it seems most people, even those that don't have Yammies, respect Yamaha, especially their DSPs along with their features, performance and price.

5. Sheldon C

Sheldon C Second Unit

I have the 3000 - I use 8 channel stereo for music almost exclusively unless it's a 5.1 music dvd. For movies I always use the adventure dsp which creates a larger more surrounding sound while maintaining 5.1.

I'm used to using these dsp's all the time, I couldn't do without them.

6. SidH

SidH Agent

I think DPL2 should beat the heck out of multi-channel stereo, but I can't speak from experience. I thought that multi-channel stereo simply reproduces the mains in the surround channels, while DPL2 actually extracts different information for every channel.

As an inveterate gadget freak, I started messing with As an inveterate gadget freak, I started messing with Yamaha's DSP processing before people started putting the words "home" and "theater" together (starting with Yamaha's DSP1 processor). Now I have a DSP-A3090 which is to be replaced (maybe tonight!) by an RX-V3200.

I personally prefer the music modes to the cinema ones. The enhanced DPL or DD modes are too distracting for me. The sonic elements in movies are generally too variable for any one effect mode to work well throughout. So while the Enterprise saucer crash may sound spectacular, the dialogue between Spock and Kirk takes on a metallic edge or sounds hollow.

But I should keep an open mind, so maybe with the V3200 I will give it another go.

Out of the box, the effects make for an impressive demonstration but they are way too exaggerated to listen to for long. I usually decrease the parameter settings by 50% or more. It is interesting that you can decrease them to the point where you aren’t aware of them any more, but when you mute the effects and revert to plain old stereo, you notice that there is still a huge difference when the soundfield collapses.

I use Jazz Club the most and find it the best for vocals, small ensembles and acoustic music. The different Music Hall and Concert video soundfields are generally better for orchestral and operatic works. Disco and Rock Concert can be good for pop music but the effects have to be cranked way down. Some things can sound good, albeit different, in more than one effect mode. If you spend a lot of time experimenting with the different soundfields, you start to get a sense of what can work.

On the other hand, just plain stereo has its virtues, and I have a “higher-end” stereo setup that I use as well. Sometimes I like my ice cream plain, and sometimes I add a few dollops of hot fudge :b

7. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I, like Dale, bought my RX-V1200 in spite of all the DSPs instead of because of them. I now use the "enhanced mode" (used to be 35mm) and the 70mm general mode. As well as the tweaking info, I was wondering if anyone has noticed that you cant set a speaker delay for the surrounds in the new recievers. It only allows you to set a delay for the rear center? Or am I missing something?

8. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

RXV1200 here. I use the DPLII movie and music all the time, DTS NEO6 on occasion, stereo, 6-channel stereo, and a tad bit of adventure, sports and scifi.
    Charles, As for the delay I never really thought about it until I read your post[​IMG] My old Yamaha had me put in distances away from viewing position for each speaker but the new one doesn't. About the only delay settings I remember are for front and rear centers. You can sure adjust other stuff for all the speakers though. Too afraid to mess around myself. Don't want to screw things up.

9. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul

10. EdS

EdS Agent

I have a 2095, I'm not sure if the newer Yamahas have the same type of adjustments for DSP parameters as the 2095. On the 2095, the parameter for setting the surrounds is called "S-Delay"; it can be adjusted for each of the DSP modes (DPL, Enhanced, etc), and is grouped with the DSP parameters. It is not a global setting like that for the center channel, but is adjusted for each individual DSP mode.

11. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Ed, the 1200 has the same adjustment as yours.

Charles, I am using the same drivers all over so haven't considered messing with that center channel eq stuff. I goofed. Was really talking about all the changes you can make for each DSP mode as Ed mentioned.

12. SteveLauterbach

SteveLauterbach Auditioning

I have the DSP-A1 (Gold with Rosewood Panels). I've had it for almost 3 years. I've enjoyed it tremendously although I've had some problems with the motor driven volume control. Sometimes it freezes and I have to turn it by hand to revive it. It's still under warranty and I'll take it in at some point. The problem is intermittent so taking it in is a shot in the dark, you never can get it to act up when you want it to.

Aside from that it, sounds great. Although I'm starting to want some of the newer technology. I'm wanting to go higher end... separates. My first thought is the Lexicon MC-1, but it lacks some of the newer technology (comp. video, DD 6.1 and Pro Logic II) I'm thinking of the new Proceed PAV2. The PAV is one of the smoothest sounding processors I've ever heard. Same goes for the Proceed amps, incredible power.

I've also considered the McIntosh MX-134. This new processor has all the latest tech, but I'm concerned as McIntosh hasn't made upgrading as easy as other products. Nevertheless McIintosh is one of the most beautiful pieces of equipment I've ever seen. Classic look, it never goes out of style.

Any inputs as to my plans to upgrade? Any are welcome.

13. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

I have a DSP-A1, and interestingly I never use any of the DSP modes. I love the sound as is. Maybe it is because I have bipolar main and rear speakers.

Steve, I have heard that DT's sound great with the Macintosh gear.