What's new

Yamaha or Denon? (1 Viewer)

Paul Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
I have been looking to buy either a Yamaha or Denon for some time. The only Denon in my price range is the 1603. But there are many other options when buying Yamaha when looking to buy in the $600-$800. I have been currently looking at the Yamaha RX-V550. Im not quite sure to buy the Yamaha or Denon and need some help from a knowledgeable audio person and not just based on opinion please!
I right now own a Denon system thats like a "home theater in a box" that I bought in around 1999. Right now i will keep my existing speakers that came with the system. The front two and center are each 100 watts, but the rear two are 35 watts each and will soon be replacing them. This Thursday I will post some of the information on specs of the speakers if it is important to which Receiver I should pick!
I was looking on the web to find my receiver info and the closest at least helpful information was a old receiver that has the same remote as mine;)
Remote]http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/Amplifiers/Denon/DenonAVR-1100.shtml]Remote[/url]
Thank you and I would really like it if you replied if you can help me!

Nick Cerretti

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what exactly what you want us to say. You can't go wrong with either receiver. Audition both on some good speakers if you can. Whatever one you like, is the one you should buy.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Paul, there are already 7 or 8 other posts trying to pick receivers. It takes a bit of time to get to everyone.
The Comparison Chart shows:
Dennon 1603: has all the EX decoding (rear center)
Yamaha RX-V530: Has 2 HD component video inputs
So might you want to run component video through your receiver in the next 2-3 years? If so, go with the Yamaha. If you want the rear-speaker features, go with the Dennon.
Other than that, these two units are nearly identical.

Paul Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
thankyou bob! tommorow or friday i will be going with my dad to get the receiver from a&b sound to my receiver. What a kick ass gift for my 15th birthday! I msg you back after i get it to tell you how i is! Thankyou

Charles M Berry

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Paul, happy to hear that you are so interested in HT at such an early age! You can learn a ton of information at this site by just reading the various discussions going on each day (some people call this lurking :D).
Just so you know, when a link like the one you posted above is bad, you can just edit your original post. Also, keep in mind the organized nature of this forum when posting. I see that you started a thread about age in the Amp section, which will probably be moved soon into a more appropriate place. I've done it too, so dont worry. Just keep it in mind for the future, as this is one of the best forums due to the discipline of posting and level of respect required.
Happy Birthday, too!

Steve Adams

Second Unit
Paul,

congrats on the building of your ht! happy bday too. have a look at all receivers in your price range and pick from that. listen to as many as you can in one store, then narrow it down. You will learn sooooooo much on this board. everyone is great and eager to help you with your questions. I myself started in the stereo scence when I was around 14 or so, i got a realistic reciver with is still on the go now, my fiance's father has it now, but there is nothing more satisfying than poppin in a dvd and having your friends go WOW! I am building a house this spring with a dedicated home theater, lobby included. thats' when your friends will freak out! walking into a theater in your house. with all the dressings. i cant wait to get it started! Good luck with your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks