Yamaha Or Denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by chris_bester, Apr 26, 2005.

1. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

What receiver is better Yamaha rx line or Denon avr line????

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Chris, neither one is better than the other. Simply search for the A/V receiver in your price range and select the unit that has the feature-set that appeals to you the most.

3. John S

John S Producer

Comparative by price for sure....

Similarly priced pieces from either company stack up well against one another. I'm a Denon head. Others favor Yamaha, neither is right or wrong.

4. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

KEWL I own a Yamaha RX-V995 (5.1) & looking @ upgrading to a DENON AVR-3805 (7.1)

5. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I used a Denon 2803 up until a couple of weeks ago and never had one problem with it.

6. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

vincent what are you using now?

7. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I bought a Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX. Sound quality didn't really change too much but the auto setup made a night and day difference for movies(imaging). I realize what a crappy job I did setting up the Denon after listening to 1 scene on the Pioneer.

8. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

Vincent_s

Which DENON was it???

9. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

oops my bad Vincent I looked back & just seen which one u had

10. PeteZ

PeteZ Extra

I have had the Yamaha RX-V995(5.1) receiver for about 7 years now. I compared Denon and Yamaha, and chose the Yamaha because I felt it sounded better, had a setup I preferred, and I think I was biased towards Yamaha going in to the comparison because I always dreamed of having one. As everyone here said, they are both excellent, and there is no wrong choice. Just this week, I auditioned some speakers. I got to hear the Denon 2805 and 3805. I also listened to the Yamaha 1500, and the unbelievable Z9...WOW!!! Right now, I'm leaning toward the Yammy RX-V2500 as my workhorse for my new system I will be setting up in my almost finished basement.

Have fun checking out both brands, and choose the one that fits you best for the money.

11. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

I have had both in my house. I really feel that my sound quality took a major step up with the Denon. Keep in mind that I have an entry level AVR 1705 Denon. I couldn't be more happy with it.

12. al lout

al lout Stunt Coordinator

I had a yammie htr 5560 receiver that when dead on me 6 months ago. I say go for the Denon. I had audition a few Denon model 2802, 2803, 3803 and the 3805. They sound great. I would get the 3805 if my budget allowed at that time... Ended up getting the Pioneer 1014 (also an excellent receiver) and very happy with how it performs... You should take your time and go listen to them.

13. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Yeah that's it......somebody has an isolated and VERY rare problem with the quality of a Yamaha receiver and nobody should ever buy that brand..........

14. chris_bester

chris_bester Agent

lol I agree Evan I am leaning towards Yamaha RX-V2500

15. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I have a RX-V2200 which is about 3 years older than the 2500 and I love it. I have no reason to upgrade for awhile other than maybe getting a seperate amp down the road when I get harder to drive speakers. I really think you will like the Yammie.....Denon is fantastic too if you choose to go that route in the end.

Do not ever be concerned about the quality of a Yamaha receiver. a lout's post is literaly 1 out of maybe 4 to 5 posts I have EVER read in my more than 3 years of being a member here that questioned Yamaha's build quality. I guarantee you anyone elso who has been here for a long time will say the same thing....weather or not they like Yamaha.

16. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 3805 for about 3 months supplying power for a 7.1 Definitive Technology speaker system. Absolutely no complaints.

David

17. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

Like mentioned earlier, Yamahas - like 'em or not - are probably the most rock solid receivers built. Complaints are very rare.

18. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    I looked at Denon and Yamaha and the only difference was all the extra sound modes on the Yamaha. I would have never used them. The only reason I went with the Denon was I would have had to wait a week for a Yamaha and the "new" Denon's were sitting in the back. I went home with a Denon. Both brands are great.

19. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I did a sound comparison between yamaha and denon. I've owned Yamaha for a while now...but always wanted a Denon. After doing the demo...I bought the RX-v2400. Love this unit. I thought is sounded better compared to the similar priced Denon at the time. But- thats me. You might like the Denon better.

Best idea is too find a shop that sells both- take in familiar music and compare yourself! Which ever you choose you wont lose.

BTW...ive had Yamaha products since 93- rock solid IMO
    then again..you dont hear many issues with Denon either!

20. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

I agree with Thomas. AB a Yamaha and Denon together useing the SAME speakers. It would be pointless to listen to them on different speakers as speakers will effect the sounds a lot more than a different receiver brand. The best thing to do is audition them on whatever speakers you own....but of course that is not always possible. Iget a kick out of people who audition a Yamaha in one store with say...Polk speakers....and e Denon at another store using Paradigm...then saying...boy I like the Denon much more....or I like the Yamaha more.....what they actually like is the speakers more. Then they bring the receiver home, plug it in and wonder why they don't like it as much on their Klipsch speakers LOL!