yamaha or denon dvd player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bob Kolb, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Bob Kolb

Bob Kolb Auditioning

I'am upgrading my system and would like to know what would be better the Yamaha 2500 or denon 2910 dvd player? I will be using it for about 60% movies and 40% music. It will be used with a Yamaha RX-v 1600 receiver and Panasonic TH-42PWD8 plasma panel. Thanks for any help

2. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I've always been partial to Denon for consistency in build quality, but that's just me, and ironically there is not one Denon component in my rack at this time. My current reciever is, in fact, a Yamaha 2600 and my DVD player a Pioneer. I did have a Denon 3805 at the center of my HT when I lived in the U.S. and it was an unbelieveable piece of electronics, but I digress...

Both players you mention are basically on the same level and either one of them would likely work out well for you. I've never owned a Yamaha or Denon DVD player, but I've seen high-end Denon players in action and they produce a stunningly neutral, yet brilliant and sharp picture. If you just can't decide by all the opinions you will get here (and you really shouldn't), I would see if you can get a demo someplace with both players input to the same display, using the same type connection.

I'll relate an experience, which illustrates the importance of doing side by side comparisons, when you can. I remember when progressive scan players were first hitting the market. I went out and bought a Sony carousel progressive scan player. It was upwards of $300, if I remember correctly, but not even close to what I paid for my first Sony carousel player back in '98. Not long after, I saw a Pioneer DV-563A multi-format (DVD video/audio, SACD) player for like, $180. I thought I was reading the ad wrong (because such players rarely sold for under a grand, then), so I went and confirmed with the retailer that I was indeed reading the ad right and bought it immediately. This was also a progressive scan player and I figured I would use it for playing DVD audio discs and SACDs and that I would use the Sony for movies. I gave the Pioneer a test run for movies, anyway, and long story short, it became my main player for everything, because it made the Sony's picture look like crap in comparison. I also bought a Panasonic to compare, but returned it straightway because its picture was worse than the Sony. I still have that Pioneer. I brought it with me to Japan, because I needed something to play all my region 1 discs on, but I still think it is an excellent player for what I paid.

The three morals to this story are:
    1. First and foremost, do a side by side comparison, if you can.
    2. Include a Pioneer player in your considerations, because they are first-rate machines. [​IMG]
    3. Not all players on the same price level are created equally, which brings us back to moral #1...

3. Bob Kolb

Bob Kolb Auditioning

Thanks for the reply Shane. I didn't give pioneer any consideration, and I have been using a DV-333 pioneer player for the last 5 years.I have been satisfied with the picture and music quality of it. But it is not progressive scan and doesn't do SACD and DVD-A.I mostly used a CDV-pro tube out cd player for the music, and I'am going to do a way with the extra player and clear the space in my cabinet for one player, to do both.My problem is the lack of A/V stores with the product I would like to try on display in my area.
    was hoping that someone out there had done this comparison with these or similar dvd players and could help.With that being said I will see what pioneer has to offer. We just had a Best Buy open locally and I will see what they have. Thanks Bob

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Last year I replaced a Pioneer 563 with a Yamaha 6770 (same as the 750) and there was a pretty good upgrade in picture and sound quality, but the yamaha also cost twice as much. I shattered Shanes rule #1 by ordering a Denon DV786 on-line based on price and features. If I
    don't like it, it goes back. The Yamaha was moved into another room. If you decide to look at Pioneer, be fair and consider their Elite series. They're more comparable with the 2500 and 2910.

5. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Right on Gene.

My next player will probably be a Pioneer Elite 59 or 79AVi, but that's only because I need my next player to be region-free and Pioneer is about the only high-end player I've seen available as such.

I have found it a pretty good idea to choose the features that are important to you, but otherwise, keep a pretty open mind when shopping for electronics.

6. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    And an open wallet [​IMG] .