Yamaha NS150 tower speakers, good?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by matt steele, Dec 25, 2003.

1. matt steele

matt steele Extra

I am able to get a pair of Yamaha NS150 tower speakers for $200 Canadian. They are $300 canadian off tomorrow on boxing day. Anyone know anything about these speakers and if they are any good? I figure since they are $500 regular they should be decent but I also know that price doesn't really mean much.

They will be used as the front speakers with a H/K ARV225 receiver. Small room

Thanks

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

If you are in Canada, FYI, you've got a lot of great speaker brands for cheap. Look at paradigm, for instance, for some really good entry-level performance.

3. matt steele

matt steele Extra

So you dont think the yamaha are actually the best for the price. CAn i get paradigm tower speakers for about the same price that are of equal quality? What are some others besides paradigm that we got in canada. I dont know very many brands of speakers.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Please discuss specific speaker models here. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner's level, not for discussing specific models of speakers (or any other component).

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

matt you should be able to get any speaker you want in Canada [​IMG] Paradigm gets mentioned a lot because they are great (and Canadian, eh), as well as Energy and PSB. Yamaha isn't known for making speakers so.. er, have you heard them?

6. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I will second FeisalK's opinion. Yamaha makes great electronic equipment, but they are not known for great speakers. The three speaker manufacturers Feisal mentioned might cost a bit more than Yamaha for a comporable speaker, but the quality is much better.

Of course, the best advise is to establish a budget and buy the speakers that sound the best to you. Only your ears can tell you which is the best speaker.