Yamaha Night Listening Enhancer

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DaveBB, Oct 27, 2004.

1. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

My eight year old Denon 3200 receiver is about to pass away after many thousands of hours of use. I've been looking at a number of replacement receivers including the Yamaha RX-V1500 and RX-V2500.

Part of what interests me is the "Night Listening Enhancer" mode on the Yamahas. I'm in an old apartment building with wood floors so sound travels very easily. If I'm watching a movie late in the eveneing I find that I must keep my remote right at hand so I can adjust the volume up and down.

I know, you're going to say move into a freestanding house so I can enjoy my music and movies at whatever volume I like whenever I want. However I was wanting to know those Yamaha receiever owners out there: what is your feeling about the Night Listening mode? Does is do the trick? Do you no longer have to keep your remote right by your side when watching late at night?

2. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

I don't think this is a unique feature; I believe it's an optional component of the Dolby Digital standard for processors to compress the dynamic range of the soundtrack when desired. Yamaha is not the only manufacturer that does this. I can't speak for the usefulness of it, though.

3. James Phung

James Phung Second Unit

I believe Pioneer has "Midnight Mode"

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

My three year-old Technics SA-DA8 has this feature--in its set-up menu it's called DR COMP or in other words "dynamic range compression". There are three levels of it you can choose from: OFF, STANDARD and MAX. To be perfectly honest I almost never use it but it does seem to make an audible & useful difference on the maximum setting.

I just wish my receiver had an indicator light for this feature to remind me I turned it on, because having a squashed dynamic range on movies can take away from their visceral qualities, especially scary movies and action movies that depend on varying levels of sound to add emotional impact. Music is also affected this way too, on a movie's soundtracks and a dvd-audio's Dolby Digital (& DTS?) tracks.

Don't know if any receiver's dynamic range controller affects non-Dolby signals.

5. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit