Yamaha New A/V Receiver Line

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DonRaphael, Dec 31, 2001.

1. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Auditioning

Widescreen Review reported on the upcoming new line of Yamaha receivers:

RX-Z1: 130 Watts into 6 channels, 45 watts into two front effect channels. 192 kHz/24 bit DACs on all outputs. New 32-bit floating point LSI thast yields 39 DSP programs. May have RS-232 port for future software upgrades. Ships April.

RX-V3200: Similar to RX-Z1 except 120 watts into six channels. Uses same chips as RX-Z1. Ships March.

RX-V730, RX-V630,RX-V530, RX-V430. Ship March.

Has anyone seen any other information on these?

2. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

No, but do you remember if they have a Firewire input for DVD audio?

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

And I'm just getting used to the RX-V1!!!!!

Actually there was some info on them online on a Japanese website but I don't remember many details... I was blubbering so bad.......

4. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

When the RXV1 came out, Yamaha claimed it was first commercial unit to have 44 bit processing (2 LSI's). If you read the marketing brochure for the RXV1 it goes on to describe the quality sound achieved by the faster & more efficient processing.
    Now the RXV1's replacement is just around the corner and that unit has 32 bit processing. Why go "backwards?" Was using 44 bit chips not cost effective? Were the 44 bit chips overkill? Maybe the RXV1 is the Yamaha unit to own due to this "extra" processing power?
    Another interesting change: RXV1 with 54 DPS's compared to RX-Z1 with 39 DSP's. 2 possible reason's: (1) New DPL2 and DTS Neo and ES processing code takes up more space, but then wouldn't the 44 bit chips help? (2) Maybe the 54 DSP's were overkill? I for one, am a fan of Yamaha DSP's and use more than half of them at various times.
    More info:
    http://pub7.ezboard.com/faussiedvdandhtforumfrm28
    Rich B.

5. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

>Maybe the RXV1 is the Yamaha unit to own due to this "extra" processing power?<

Rich,

what you do with the bits is far more important than how many. I would want to listen to the RX-Z1 before I replace my RX-V1. It may be a better sounding unit, or maybe not. Yamaha has backstepped in the past.

Personally, I'm tired of this "the $3k receiver we sold you 2 yrs. ago is junk compared to our new model" talk that most of the manufacturers give us. I swear my next upgrade will be one that SOUNDS fantastic, numbers and features be damned.

Marty

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Solution-seperates!!!!

While I will admit, I could care less about 6.1, 7.1, 10.2, thx ultra, thx select, dts-es, dlp II, etc, etc... (after the standard 5.1 dd and dts, I got sick of upgrading every year-its just like computers now, since software is such a big part of HT now). I think you can get a much better system if you buy separetes, and all of your amplication isn't out dated the next year (just your pre-amp, if you care)

7. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

btw, remember when you could buy a receiver and have "the latest thing" for a few years, those days are over-sad.

8. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I'm really looking forward to seeing the specs/reviews of the 3200. I'm currently thinking about the RX-V2200 but the recent announcement about DVD-A via firewire has me on upgrade hold. I'll be interested to see if the z-1 or 3200 has this feature. I suspect that it won't given the timing though.

9. Bill Adlhoch

Bill Adlhoch Stunt Coordinator

does the 3200 have front effect channels?

the 3000 does

10. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Few more things.

The RXV1 came out with a list price of $3200. The RXZ1, I have read, will come in at $2800. Don't the prices ALWAYS go up with each new generation? I have a feeling the RXZ1 may not be the Flagship piece. Pure speculation, but I almost feel that they will introduce a "super" version maybe later in the year at a higher pricepoint.

I have no intention (although I thought about it) of getting rid of the RXV1 now.

As for separates, I totally agree. That is why I believe that Yamaha receivers make great prepros. I like Yamaha DSP's (front effects and all). I used a DSPA1 this way, and I'll use an RXV1 as a prepro as well. Separate amps almost always improve the sound (detail and dynamics being most evident).

Rich B.

11. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I read in some link I found via this thread that the 3200 will be functionally the same as the Z1 except the amps will be a little smaller. I assume that means the front effect channels will continue with the 3200 as it did with the 3000.

I'm looking forward to seeing the 3200. I'm not convinced I need the Z1's power for my room. I've been planning on the 100-watt mark as 'enough power.' I'm planning on Klipsch Reference Series for the HT at this point, so with their excellent efficiency I think 100watts will be enough.

I'm at 80 watts with my DSP-A3090 and NEVER get even close to 50% on the volume dial. I think I've seen 45% on a few rare occasions. I figure once I move into my own house I'll be able to get to reference levels. Still, I'm not going to have such a big space that I'm going to need 130 watts per channel.

We'll see if this opinion holds as time passes. :)

12. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

13. Bill Adlhoch

any idea of which DSP's will be eliminated?

14. Karl Erik Sylthe

15. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

Hmm.. aside from higher wattage, I see nothing really different between the 3200 and the 2200... very disappointed.
    I was hoping Yamaha would see the light and allow different channel levels for each mode, or at least for each input. This is the only thing the prevents me from buying another Yamaha. And why can't they provide a proper 'processor direct' function?? One that bypasses bass managaement?? (ie automatically set mains to LARGE and sub to OFF).
    [​IMG]

16. Bill Adlhoch

also looks like ONE LESS video input than the 3000 (6 vs 7)

with me adding a satellite system and possibly a recordable DVD in the future, i need MORE inputs, not less

this unit is a lateral move AT BEST compared to the 3000

17. Dan A

Dan A Agent

What does front effects channels mixed into mains actually, or possibly mean? Could it mean that there is a second set of connections for the same channel (main L/R)to run a second set of smaller speakers, that are not separately powered? I don't even know if this is possible, but it would be preferable to some phantom mode of creating the front effects through the mains.

18. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

19. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

Karl, did you notice this:
    http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/index.html

20. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

"The 9 channels consist of Main L/R, Center, Rear L/R, Rear Center, Front Effect L/R and Subwoofer (LFE) channels. Front effect channel signals are mixed with main channel signals to achieve a more precise separation of ialogue, music and effectn the front sound stage."

I pulled this quote from the PDF found via the above posted link. So, I'm not sure what "mised with main channels" means but at least we know there are separate front effect channels on the 3200