What's new

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
My son has been given, no cost to use, a 1999 Yamaha motorcycle. It's a long story but the bike is going to need a few things mainly tires, gas tank, and all around plastics. Short of getting this stuff from Yamaha, does anyone know of aftermarket places where we could buy new parts?

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
Dirt bike, metric cruiser or sport bike? Plastic doesn't make me think cruiser but who knows.

Bruce N

Second Unit
www.partsfish.com has parts diagrams and part numbers for Yamahas among other brands. Their prices are not the best but they seem to be reliable and you could get an idea of just how much $$ you're looking at.

Bruce

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chu, buddy, for a guy who's so attentive to detail in threads about audio gear, you're being amazingly nonspecific here. What model of Yamaha? The parts and other needs differ dramatically, depending on what kind of bike it is (as noted, sportbike or cruiser or "standard" or dual-purpose or enduro or motocross and on and on).

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Sorry about that! Yamaha YZF-R1. He'll check out the links to get a handle on prices but seeing as he's in HS and is going to be largely taking on the resoration from a financial point, I'd like to know if there are any cost effective alternate sources of parts that don't compromise on Yamaha originals.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Welcome to my world........HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry.....www.parts411.com www.Lockhartphillipsusa.com

www.mawonline.com & the list goes on

Buy any sportbike mag & there are tons of options.
I certainly hope this is not his first bike cause it
has ~140rwhp stock!!
Make him take an MSF course!!!

But above all.....BUY HIM GEAR & DONT LET HIM RIDE WITHOUT IT!!!

The actually body parts are HORRIBLY expensive....his are too.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
OHMYGAWD.....

Just re-read your post....does it say he is in High School.
Do not let him keep this bike!!
It is WAY too much for a kid that young with no experience.

He may hate ya for it, but this is just my opinion.
Have him get some thing like a Suzuki GS-500 or
an SV-650 instead.

That looks like a 2002....is it?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chu, Cam's got a point. Are you aware of just what the YZF-R1 is? That's a very serious machine -- and it will outperform anything on four wheels and just about anything else on two wheels (except for about three or four other superbikes from the Big Four). A high-school kid just isn't ready for such a high-performance machine. He should be looking at a middleweight streetbike.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I agree with the majority. Although not near the demon the GSX-R1000 is, still is a lot of bike for that age. Shoot, too much bike for me.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'm aware gentlemen and the power is duly noted by yours truly and most certainly impressed upon him. He has a dirt bike and has ridden street bikes. I admit this is a quantum leap up.

The way how he came about it is interesting. The owner of the bike had crashed it. Not terribly serious damage...just looks like the plastics and trim are in need of replacement and the gas tank is damaged. Shortly after crashing the bike he gave it to another person in exchange for some work who happens to be the father of my son's girlfriend where it sat for a couple of years. During this time, the person who originally owned the bike died. The guy has no need for the bike and asked my son if he wanted it, as is. So there's the story.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
Does he have a license? Has he taken an MSF class before? You should really look at trying to fix it up to get something smaller, even if that’s on R6 or GSX-R600. (not to say SV-650 isn't the ideal starter bike) Please take to heart that an R1 is not what you want your son to start off riding on the street.

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Marque....sounds like you & I think pretty much
alike.......:D

Very sound advice indeed!!

Chu, I am curious, that looks like a 2002 (as I said before)
really could not have sat up that long unless it was wrecked immediately after purchase.....but that hapens quite a bit, unfortunately.
As I also stated , the body parts are VERY expensive. To
replace the tank & even 1 side of body work could easily
cost $2,000.00 unless you can find stuff on EBAY or
something.

Also, it is good that he has some experience, but there is
NO comparison between this and ANY dirtbike he might own.

I own 3 bikes myself & have been riding since I was ~8
which is 35+ yrs ago.
I have broken both collarbones since 2001, although one
of them was due to oil on the track that I hit with
my racebike.

This is very dangerous for a young man.....I would hate
to hear that something happened to him.

Dont think we are jumping on ya, its all due to concern, please think very long & hard about it.

- Cam

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yes, yes, and the caution is weighing on my mind for sure. I have to admit, if he fixes it up nicely, he'll have no problems selling it if he wants to and getting whatever he wants.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Chu, you probably know by now how much those ABS plastic body parts on modern sportbikes cost. Ridiculous! When I started riding, a minor tip-over would cost a cosmetics perfectionist a new footpeg and new alternator cover to replace the scuffed parts (and maybe a new brake or clutch lever). But as sportbikes evolved from standard streetbikes with their signature full-coverage ABS plastic body work, the "simple tip-over" became a major insurance issue.

I remember back in 1987, when my then-new Honda CBR1000F Hurricane tipped over on its sidestand, I ended up doing more than $800 in damage because I had to replace all that damn scuffed plastic. Ugh.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
that bike is old enough you should be able to find a complete body set on ebay for less than 800 bucks.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Phillip beat me too it.
Ebay is the best way I know to rebuild a motorcycle. I've done it twice from very badly damaged motorcycles.
Just don't get into bidding wars, be patient, etc,etc,etc.

About the whole issue about a teen boy on one of the fastest legal street machines made......
I've been riding sportbikes since '93 and in this time I've learned a couple rules.
1. You will crash.
2. See rule #1.

If I were you (and since we are on a public forum and my opinion counts:P ) I'd sell that bike and buy him something else.
With the profit made from the sell buy him a helmet,jacket, gloves, boots, and pants (well that just about does it doesn't it)
Sorry. Like others have said, it may seem like we're preaching, but we've been down that road.....we know what can happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks