1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha keeps shutting down.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike*D, May 2, 2004.

1. Mike*D

Mike*D Auditioning

I own a 6 to 7 year old R-V1105. In the last couple of weeks it has started to shut/turn itself off in the middle of listening to either 5.1 sources or 2 channel. I can turn the receiver back on and it will sometimes run for an hour or two without shutting down and sometimes it will shut back off in a couple of minutes or even seconds. The top of the unit does not seem any warmer than usual, I've checked all the wiring to make sure there was no cross wiring and have tried plugging it in at a different electrical outlet. Does it sound like the power supply may be going bad? And if it is, what kind of repair bill would that bring? I'm just wondering if it would be worth it.

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The Yam 1105 were some pretty good old units and my son still runs one of them with some 6 ohm speakers (loudly I may add) with no problem. My brother also has one but hasn't had any problem either......

If your unit is shutting down even before it gets very warm, it may very well be a "fatal" error! Great chance to upgrade! No, really, though, the 1105, even if it is an older unit, is worth looking into repairing as it may be something simple and it may not be...........