Yamaha HTR vs RX-V

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by faraz, Aug 19, 2002.

1. faraz

faraz Auditioning

Yamaha has two sereies of amps; the HTR sereies and the RX-V sereies. Anyone know what is the diff. between these. I was told by one salesman that they were the same and that it had some thing to do with marketing. I am also looking at buying a new receiver and am thinking between a Denon 3802, a Yamaha RX-V2200, or a Sony STR-DA4ES. Any help will me much appriciated.

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I'm not an expert, but I believe you were given correct info, and that those Yamaha series are virtually the same, but the HTR series is marketed to Best Buy and other 'big box' retailers while the other series goes to boutique shops.

As far as a choice between those 3 units--they're all great, and real-world performance won't be orders-of-magnitude different among them. I'd go with the Sony 4ES, having been introduced through it via this site and now having demoed it. It's a great, solid receiver with very nice build quality and superb sound.

--AM

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The higher end RXV models such as the 2200, 3200 and RXV1/RXZ1 do not have HTR equivalents. The only difference between the RXV and HTR receivers that do match is the HTR has gold lettering on the front while the RXV has white. This is on the Yamaha website FAQ's.

The HTR series is sold at Sears, Best Buy, etc. The RXV line is sold at Good Guys, and higher end HT stores.

4. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

It depends on exactly which rcvrs...the new line-up (430,530,630) have IDENTICAL EQUIVALENTS IN THE HTR series.
    However ,there is no 730 equivalent and the "equivalent" to the 1200 does not have the 12volt trigger or detatchable power cord...... the 1300 does ,I've heard, have an equivalent...........

5. Jeff Braddock

Jeff Braddock Second Unit

At the local stereo shop, the salesman (who was also the manager) told me the difference was the HTR's are mass produced and 1 out of every 12 of the RX-V's are opened and hand checked. This is to cut down on defective units and assure quality. Other than that, he said they are the same reciever.