What's new

Yamaha HTR vs. RX lines...differences? What about H/K? (1 Viewer)

Mark.Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings. Am looking into entry-level HT SS receivers, $300-500 price range. Really like the Yamaha HTR-5560, but I notice that a lot of people here write about the RX line of receivers from Yamaha. Are there any really differences between the two lines of receivers? My investigation has revealed that some models have the same exact specs...is one considered more audiophile than the other?

Also, I like the H/K AVR-225 for the musicality, but keep reading about quality/shut-down problems...is this problem overblown or how real is it?

Final receiver is the Denon 1803, but I am not as crazy about that one. Onkyo TX DS-600 was in the running for while, but I have read the new models (this one replacing the 595) are inferior to previous ones.

Mark

Arron H

Second Unit
I have heard that the HTR receivers do not have preouts but I have not looked at one closely to confirm. The RXVs have preouts and so, you can use them as a processor with a separate power amp providing the juice.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
The HTR line definitely includes receivers with pre-outs, the HTR-5560 being one example.

--AM

AndrewBest

Grip
It was my impression that the RX line sounded more natural than the HTR line.

I recently auditioned a pair of Axiom M60's with the RX-720 and a low budget Pioneer (411 model or equivalent). The Yamaha definitely sounded more smooth in the treble and well balanced.

Don't know if that helps, just thought I'd put my 2 cents in.

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz.

The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales.

The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail.
Ahh… so the same unit will be rated at 70wpc at the authorized dealer but at Best Buy it will say “500watt receiver!*

*100watts per channel at 1000hz”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks