Yamaha HTR-5890 w/ Paradigm performance

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Brandon>S, May 3, 2006.

1. Brandon>S

Brandon>S Auditioning

First off I hope this an ok spot for me to post this question: A few years back my dad purchased a Bose acoustimas 10 system with a Yamaha receiver. After a lightning strike fried his receiver I finally convinced him it was time to get rid of that overpriced bose system. So far I have got him bitting on a Paradigm performace system with Titans, cc-270, and maybe ADP-170's.

My first question is, are the ADP-170's meant to be used as rear channels or are they intended for lft and rght middle's? Would just another set of titans in the rear be better than the ADP-170's? The room the system will be used in is small and the rear channels will be right behind the listener.

Second question is about which receiver he should buy. He really likes the Yamaha HTR-5890? Is there a better receiver for

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

first off, if the room is small, you might want to stick to a 5.1 system with the ADPs as surround channels. if there's space behind the sitting position then a 7.1 system might fit - I think with the ADPs as surround back and another pair (Atoms, maybe) as rear channels (which should be placed to the side- see Dolby rec below)

[​IMG]

Yamaha will do great with the Performance line! there's no problem with the receiver power being rated above the speakers - in fact its lack of power that is more dangerous to speakers.

3. Brandon>S

Brandon>S Auditioning

thanks FeisalK, for clarification you mean that the ADP's would do well as the rear most speakers with the Atoms further up and to the side? In other words the ADP's = Lb and Rb in the diagram and Atom's = Ls and Rs??? Thanks again for the advice.[​IMG]

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

i would think so. altough if you have the 2 pairs it would be easy to switch them and settle on the one which sounds better, IMO

5. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I agree with FeisalK in that if your room is small, 5.1 with ADP's on the back wall would be just fine. Make sure there are reflective surfaces so they can properly do their job. Also about three feet above your head when seated is usually the right height

If you must do 7.1 then I would use the ADP for the side surrounds (LS-RS, in diagram) then maybe Atoms or Titans on the back wall firing forward. That way the side firing drivers will help transition and fill the side space from front to back a little better than just a direct radiating speaker. You would also do fine with another pair of ADP's on the back wall too.

Is the listening position away from, or up against the back wall?

Nothing against the Yamaha, but I have had great luck putting Pioneers' 1015 and Paradigms as well.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

6. London Lawson

London Lawson Second Unit

I have a Paradigm Pw2200 sub, Paradigm Monitor 3's v.3 and a Paradigm CC370 v.3 with a 5890 reciever and it sounds good to me!

7. Brandon>S

Brandon>S Auditioning

thank you guys for all the helpful input. My dad ordered the Yamaha HTR-5890 tonight for a grand total of $474.99 with shipping. Now we are in the market for the Paradigm speakers. Can anyone suggest a place to get them from? I have done much searching on the internet and have yet to find any place that sells these speakers. I also used the dealer finder on Paradigm's website and there was only one result for someone that must be selling the speakers out of his house. The reason I say this is because the address is residential. Go figure. If there is no way to get them over the internet then I guess we will be forced to go to this dealer......any suggestions???

8. London Lawson

London Lawson Second Unit

I'm pretty sure they are dealer only.

9. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

yes Paradigm are dealer only (unless you buy off eBay or something)

10. JimmyL

JimmyL Auditioning

Hey Brandon,

Where did your dad order the 5890? The price looks good and I'm thinking of purchasing the same unit. Thanks in advance.

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have been a happy Yamaha/Paradigm owner for over 8 years. You can go to the Paradigm website at http://www.paradigm.ca and find a dealer by zipcode.