Yamaha HTR-5860 or Onkyo TX-SR702B Refurb

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jeffrey LH, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Jeffrey LH

Jeffrey LH Auditioning

Of the two (Yamaha HTR-5860 or Onkyo TX-SR702B Refurb) which would be the better home theater receiver? Etronics has the Yamaha for $350 shipped while J&R has the Onkyo for $432 shipped. The Onkyo is a refurb, but still has one year warranty and I have heard good things about it. The Yamaha is from an unauthorized dealer so might not have any warranty at all. I know the Yamaha has YPAO, but I think the Onkyo has some soort of auto set up feature as well. Just wanted some input other than my own. Thanks in advance.

2. John_RO

John_RO Stunt Coordinator

Well, I own an older Yamaha RXV 1000 and couldn't be happier. Yamaha is known for durability and close to honest power ratings. It is also known for a slightly brighter sound than other recievers if you like that. Coupled with soft dome tweeters, it sounds great to me. The only other brand i've demo'd is Denon so I can't give you the full scoop on Onkyo. But I will say this. Buy from an authorized dealer. Electronics are finicky things and you dont want to be left without a warranty.

3. Niti

Niti Extra

i'm an onkyo fan. i've been since i bought my first one 10 yrs ago and it's still going. as fas as a refurb is concerned i have bought a refurb and have had no issues whatsoever. i have since sold it and upgraded to a 6 channel one and yep another onkyo i bought. it's your call, but onkyo imo is awesome!!!

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have owned Onkyo and Yamaha and I personally prefer Yamaha. If you use the FM tuner, I think you will find that Yamaha is better than Onkyo.