Yamaha HTR-5850 vs HTR-5860

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Neil Campbell, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Neil Campbell

May 25, 2003
    I'm in the market for one of these receivers and was considering the 5860 because right now they are only $100 apart here in Canada. I thought the YPAO might be nice but I do have a sound level meter and used it on my other Yamaha receiver. I don't need really 7.1 (only have 5.1 for now) with no plans to upgrade to even 6.1.

However, I was just at the another store and they have the 5850 for $349 and the 5860 for $528. At this price difference, I'm about to grab the 5850, unless I'm missing something.

I can't get the comparison chart to come up at the Yamaha site but it appears the differences on the 5860 are basically:

- 7.1 vs 6.1
    - YPAO (parametric equalizer?)
    - Dialogue lift (is this really any use?)
    - Pure Direct listening mode
    - slightly more power
    - presence speakers

Anybody got a good reason (worth $178 plus tax) to jump to the 5860?

Thanks for any advice.
  2. John Titan

John Titan Stunt Coordinator

Nov 21, 2005

I've got the 5790 which has everything you listed there.

The YPAO works pretty good and not only adjust the speaker level but also adjusts a 6 band EQ on each speaker. As well as distance, wiring, and size.

Pure direct is very good for audio.

The dialog lift does work. But most people without it usually just turn up their center.

The presence speakers are only used on yamaha specific sound-fields so they don't get used much. They split the channels so on certain sound-fields the presence are used and others the back surrounds are used. They don't work at the same time. You can set the receiver to always use the back surrounds. If you never wanted to hook up presence speakers.

Yamaha makes a good product so you'll be happy with either.
    Good luck!