What's new

Yamaha HTR-5790 (1 Viewer)

Ryan*C

Auditioning
Ok, I'm coming in on probably what seems to be the tail-end of this conversation, but I'll give it a go...

I plan on buying (as fate has it Brett-H) a 7.1 Athena home theater system linked to the Yamaha 5790. As far as the Athena's go, I get a KILLER discount because I work at Best Buy, and so I'm getting the two F2's (largest floor-standing), four B2's (largest bookshelf), and one C1 (center), and a P-400 (subwoofer) all for under $700, brand new, and including shipping, hehehe. Anyways, what is your opinion on both the Athena speakers, and the Yamaha 5790 reciever for my first home theater package (I'm 19, and still with parents). I'm planning to hook this with a 50" Samsung DLP digital t.v. linked with my computer as the monitor and my reciever playing my MP3 tunes... what is your guys' opinions... ???

P.S. I'm getting the 5790 for around $500.00 on discount.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Guys that work at Best Buy.

Do be a bit careful about announcing the specifics of your discount. I don't think my boss would be to annoyed, but who knows if corporate looks on this site and is anal about it :D

BTW, T-minus 29 days till my discount starts - and I work in HT. I'm in love. I am looking at that receiver, too. Go Best Buy!

Ryan*C

Auditioning
True Kenneth... good point. It's not specific numbers, but it is ball-park; so good point, and thanks for the heads up! Yeah, rock on with Best Buy. And I'm waiting for the DLP with the xHD3 chip that upconverts everything to 1080p. HEHEHE, discounts next year...

-Ryan*C

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i upgraded my 5590 and have had this the 5790 for a few days now. here's some initial and totally random thoughts:

appearance/build quality
umm...just average. the 5590 was much nicer looking (with the folding door) then this one. plus, for some stupid reason, on the 5790, i keep turning the dsp knob when i mean to turn the input knob. also, why nothing to cover the front inputs? but having an optical jack up front is nice.

the thing is heavy as heck. looking inside, i can see a nice beefy power supply, large capacitors and thick heat sinks.

sound quality
it's a hard test because i know what i'm listening to, but i swear the 5790 sounds better. it just has a sharper, brigher ... "cleaner" sound to it. i suspect that may be a result of the higher power. one thing that seems to hold true for thx certified receivers reviewed in magazines is that they usually output what is promised ... or at least close to it.

i really like the dsp modes, but they seem slightly more "exaggerated" in the new model. i may have to go into the settings and see what i can do to fine tune them. but, as has always been the case with yamaha receivers, the dsp modes are right-on. they don't sound overly echoey or processed.

ypao
i just *had* to try it out. it totally freaked out my cats, which amused me to no end. i found it's settings to be more or less accurate. it calculated my speaker distance exactly, but it did some other "funky" things (don't recall now) that i didn't like. i've never been a big fan of these auto-calibration things anyway.

remote
could care less since i have a mx-500, but it worked well enough. having the buttons be a different color does help distinguish which button does what.

overall, a nice piece of gear. since i also work at bb, i was able to receive it at employee price ... so that made it all the sweeter.

[edit] - regarding the menu system, is there an easy way to "escape out" of it? it seems like i have to back all the way out, then scroll to the first or last option? this was a question i always had with my first receiver as well...

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
My remote has a exit or clear (icant remember) button. i have the 5760, I added this button to my pronto. its one od the corner buttons on the yammy remote where test, menu, level and the up,down,left and right buttons are. HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks