What's new

Yamaha HTR-5790 - worth the upgrade? (1 Viewer)

David Wyckoff

Auditioning
Hi,
I just saw the ad for the HTR 5790 in the Best Buy advert in today's paper and was intrigued by the thought of owning a THX 7.1 receiver. I've been eagerly reading some of the posts here and it sounds quite impressive. I was hoping for some opinions/advice as I'm pretty much a novice at this sort of thing.

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V995 that I got on sale a few years back. Would it be worth my while from an audio quality standpoint to upgrade to the HTR 5790? I've seen the 5790 as advertised from 110 to 140 watts per channel. Which is it? I know it does the DTS 6.1 which my V995 doesn't, but I'm not necessarily into having the extra speaker. It's more the sound quality that interests me.

Thanks for any opinions/advice.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
140 x 7 @ 1khz
110 x 7 20hz - 20khz

The full range power waiting (110 x 7) is more realistic, but still is only a raiting of how much power can be delivered to any one channel at a time, not all simultaniously. Still, you'll never be driving all 7 channels full range full power at any given time. With the luck people have had with the RXV-1400 (same receiver, different asthetics) I wouldn't hessitate to go with the 5790. You can find it online as low as $540 + SH using froogle.google.com and shopping.yahoo.com .

Hope this helps :)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, the 5790 is a closer replacement to the RXV-795. This was a model just below the 995 you own. The only difference might be fewer DSP modes.

Dan_Shore

Auditioning
From what I have read and heard (hopefully brain is functioning today), you will get less warranty than if you get a RX-V1400 - 1 yr vs 3 yr possibly. The HTR series is for chain and budget places, where the RX series is for authorized dealers and better audio shops. Feature wise they are the same if I remember correctly from the comparison charts that Yamaha gives. I was thinking about the same thing from BB but stayed away from it. After further research and feature shopping, I will be going for the RX-V2400 - more money than the 1400, but it has more of what I want.

Later...Dan

MaxMenon

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the 5960 (for $350). Since I will be using it as a preamp (replaces denon 2802) ... I don't care about the THX rating etc. or lack thereof.

Also, I typically buy electronics at bargain prices and sell them in about 1-1.5 years .. and get most of my investment back. So I don't care about 3 yr warranty. This logic does not apply to my POWER AMP and 2-ch PREAMP and my maggies.

Imagine the plight of the guys who bought their first generation DVD players and purchased a 5yr warranty on them. Can you imagine the pain and regret that they put up with ?

My system info configuration sheet ...
http://www.wired2net.com/downloads/hifi.html

Regards.

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks