What's new

Yamaha HTR-5790 bass management (1 Viewer)

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
For the life of me, I can't figure this out, and Yamaha's owners manual is pretty vague. So here goes. If I have the option of changing the crossover point, whether my speakers are set to small or large, then what's the point of setting them to small or large? For example, if I set the crossover to 80hz, then won't all the bass that's sent to the 5 main channels that is below 80hz get sent to the sub along with the LFE? What exactly does changing the setting do? It's somewhat confusing.

Chris Brock

Second Unit
ok i think I have this but I might learn somthing as well! but i think that if the speakers are set to large then all none LFE bass is sent to mains. so if you were listening to a 2 channel audio cd the speakers would be running full range and the xover would only be acting as a LP for the subwoofer. if you set the speakers to small it acts as a 2 way xover for all none LFE bass.

Ray Tsui

Stunt Coordinator
If you set a channel to LARGE, then the bass for that one channel is sent *only* to that surround, AND as well, any bass destined for the LFE is sent to your sub. So your speakers handle their own specific bass signal, and the sub handles it's own channel. The crossover point won't (shouldn't) affect anything because you are running all your speakers full range, and the receiver doesn't redirect any bass.

As an example....assuming you have 5.1...
If you set all 5 speakers to SMALL, then all bass destined for your surrounds/center (below the crossover point) is REDIRECTED to your SUB, and as well, your sub gets all the bass on the LFE channel also. So your sub is reproducing 5 channels of deep bass, as well as LFE channel bass.

I believe in the Yamaha you can also set all the speaker to large, and as well send all the individual bass to the sub as well. So your speakers are reproducing all the 5 channels of bass AND your subwoofer as well. You probably don't want to do this normally.

For other audio stereo modes, the story may vary. But usually the crossover point will act as the low pass filter point where some of the bass is also sent to the sub

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
If you set your speakers to large, NO bass goes to the sub unless a specific LFE signal is sent. If you set your speakers to small, crossover kicks in and redirects signals to the appropriate speakers. If you set them to BOTH (I believe it is, then signal is sent fully to speakers as well as sending anything below the crossover to the sub.

That about sums it up.

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, guys. That helps. I wish in the setup menu, that if you set all 5 channels to large, the crossover option would go away. That would make it less confusing. Though, it may be like one of the above posters said, where if speakers are set to large, then they get the full range AND the sub also gets anything below the crossover point in addition to the LFE signal. Either way, Yamaha could have done a better job explaining it in the manual. I'll just set my speakers to small, put the crossover to 80hz and be done with it. I have a HSU VTF3-mkII, so it should be able to handle everything.

George J

Auditioning
I am a noobie too and I seem to be learning new stuff everyday. I said my speakers to LARGE coz they were physically LARGE:D . Now you folks tell me that my large speakers are not large but SMALL coz you dont want any freq blow 90 hz going to it? Oh well.

I do have a question about variable crossover on my YST-SW215 sub. Since my receiver HTR-5630 directs all sound below 90hz to the LFE if the mains/center and rear are set to SMALL does that mean I need to tune the high cut (variable crossover) on my sub to 90 too? It goes from 50 to 150 hz.

According to my sub manual you are supposed to set the high cut to 'slightly above' the lowest producable sound from my main which is 35 hz for my NS-555 and the crossover only starts at 50.

So the advice is conflicting.:confused:

Andrew_J_M

Auditioning
"According to my sub manual you are supposed to set the high cut to 'slightly above' the lowest producable sound from my main which is 35 hz for my NS-555 and the crossover only starts at 50."

I've seen it recommended that the crossover is set to an octave above the lowest the mains will handle (that is double that frequency). So for the NS-555 it should be a 70hZ crossover. I would use that as the starting point and tweak it from there.

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks