Yamaha HTR 5740 Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Cory A, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Cory A

Cory A Auditioning

I recently purchased the Yamaha 5740. When i play movies and music, on the receiver it displays that i am listening in two channel mode but yet i have the decoder set to Pro Logic Enchanced (this happens in every mode). In setup mode i have all speakers connected and shows on the receiver all the speakers in use. I believe im not getting all 6 channels. I was thinking it was due to not having and optical cable? I just have my PS2 hooked up with the simple RCA cords. PS2 fault? Will this correct when i buy a real DVD player?

Thanks

2. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

doesnt seem to be the fault of the ps2 to me... if you have a dvd player it'll still have the same type of connections as your ps2.
    I think its a setting on the receiver if i'm not mistaken

3. Cory A

Cory A Auditioning

I have checked the receiver and the settings through the book and everything. Ive had friends over to take a look, we all cant figure it out.. i was hoping someone else that had the same receiver might be able to help me out...

4. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    To utilize all of your receivers channels, you will need to use a multi-channel source with an optical cable. RCA jacks from the L/R from the PS2 isn't going to do it. Also, even if you're listening to a 2-channel source with PL/PLII, the receiver won't tell you what speakers are being used. The indicator:

[​IMG]

Is an Input Indicator, telling you how many channels are coming from the input source.

If you hook up an optical cable from the PS2 and watch DVDs, it should look like the graphic above.

5. Cory A

Cory A Auditioning

Nice, thats exactly what i was looking for.. thought it might of been that.. thanks so much

6. Arturo

Arturo Auditioning

Their might be another thing to think about. PS2 only offers PCM. Pulse code modulation. Pulse code modulation is way better than RCA's, but it is not dobly digital. So let say you do get a optical cable, and you hook it up your reciever will display the PCM, and for the PS2 that as good as your gonna get. The Xbox does support dobly digital but you do need a adapter. But that is another subject. PM me if anybody has any questions on that

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Some PS2 games do have 5.1 Dolby Digital Support, but mostly in the cinematic cut scenes and not in-game like the Xbox.

8. Cory A

Cory A Auditioning

Today i bought my optical cable and hooked it up to my playstation and receiver and Arturo was right. All I got was the PCM icon lighting up on my reciever. Its a bummer bc i was really looking foward to it. Unless im not changing any programing in the receiver. I looked it up in yamaha book and couldnt really find anything on it. Maybe the Input modes... im really not sure what that is used for or if they are somehow connected.. but its frustrating. I wonder if i had a regular DVD if the samething would happen?

Thanks for your help again guys,

Cory

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Like Arturo and I said, PS2 uisually only outputs PCM and not DD5.1, only in some games in some cutscenes is there DD5.1 available.

10. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    I had assumed we were talking about using the PS2 for DVD playback since the original question included "Will this correct when i buy a real DVD player?" I've never used my PS2 with an optical cable and DVD playback, so I simply assumed it would at least output DD 5.1 for DVDs. But yes, games on the PS2 are not DD 5.1. Only the X-Box will give you this feature.