What's new

YAMAHA HTR 5560 vs. 5590 (1 Viewer)

RobL

Grip
Hey guys,

I am planning on getting one of these but I think because Futureshop ppl really suck, they weren't able to tell me the difference between the two. And when I went online, the only significant difference that I saw was 100W vs 150W.

Are there any other significant differences which would make me splash out extra bucks for the 5590?

Thanx

Rob

Guillaume L.

Auditioning
Looking at the canadian Yamaha site, the differences I can notice :
  • 5590 has on screen display
  • 5590 supports 3 more surround formats (DTS Neo:6 Music, DTS Neo:6 Cinema and DTS-ES Discrete 6.1)
  • 5590 has more connections
  • many different numbers I personally know nothing about

Give it a looksee : 5590 VS 5560

RobL

Grip
THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING....all these diff numbers...i aint' down with all them! makes no diff to me for now.

Guillaume L.

Auditioning
What's the price for both of those at FutureShop ?

On screen config might be useful, as you can configure the whole thing on your TV, otherwise you'd have to use the receiver's display. If that's worth extra to you, it might be worth it, otherwise ...

The extra connections might be useful to you if you have many things to plug in.

I'm personally considering either the 5560 or the RX-V640, which seem, for all intent and purpose, to be twin, except for the faceplate text and leg color. The price is closer to what I'd be willing to spend on a starter receiver. I'll pay the big bucks once receiver have 5 or more component input.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Comparing a couple of the numbers, 2 things pop out.

The 5590 can pass component video all the way thru high def (it's rated to 60 MHz.) The 5560 is only rated to 30MHz.

The other thing is weight. The 5590 is 3.5 kg heavier. IMO, this is pretty good proof there really is more power under the 5590's hood.

Guillaume L.: In the US, Yamaha has released the HTR-56xx series that corresponds to the RX-Vx40 series. While you're right that the 5560 seems similar to the 640, down here the 5560 is last year's model. I don't know if Yamaha in Canada is going to get the newer boxes anytime soon or not.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Hi Guillaume,
You mentioned the RX-V640. I'm assuming that this is from the new RX-Vx40 line?
http://www.yamaha.ca doesn't mention the introduction of this line yet. Do you have any info and what improvements there are?
Thanks
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.