Yamaha HTR-5490 vs Denon 2802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob_J_T, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Rob_J_T

Rob_J_T Auditioning

Both are recievers that I'm interested in, and I'm wondering, which would be a better receiver for the money? I've always heard that Yamaha's have excellent processing, and that Denon has such clean sound....
    Your thoughts?

2. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Need more personal info (a lot of it) both are great receivers but if we had more info onyour room/musical prefs/movie prefs/listening levels/other gear /other speakers/future uses/likes /dislikes, etc...

3. Rob_J_T

Rob_J_T Auditioning

The room is 20' 25', open rear area. I listen to both 2 channel music and alot of home theater. My speaker setup is Paradigm Atoms, PS-12, CC170 center, and ADP-70 surrounds. My TV is a Hitachi Ultravision 60inch, so component video isn't a concert at this time (s-video only). Crappy DVD player, but it's next on the upgrade list.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Rob,
    Both are very good receivers at that price point, I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. All that really matters is which one sounds better to you, so make sure you listen to them long and hard, with music you know well and like. See if the dealer will let you do an in-home demo, that's the best way to try out audio gear. If you can't get an in-home demo, have the dealer hook them up to the same (or a similar as possible) model speakers as you have at home. Not all receivers pair well with all speakers.
    FWIW, most people feel that Denon has a 'warmer' sound, while Yamaha is considered a little 'bright'. I happen to have Yamaha with Paradigm Monitor speakers and I love the sound this set-up produces. The Denon sound is also excellent, but I preferred the clarity of the Yamaha just slightly over the warmer tones of the Denon.
    I hope this helps, good luck with your selection.
    ------------------
    Dan

5. Rob_J_T

Rob_J_T Auditioning

Also seems the HTR is more of mass-marketed Yamaha sent to the BEst Buys of the world, and they still hold their RX-V series in a higher regard.
    I'm kinda leaning Denon.

6. Rob_J_T

Rob_J_T Auditioning

Okay,also the Yamy doesn't switch audio sources...the Denon does.
    One spotty piece of info, some spec sheets say the 2802 has an on-screen display, some spec sheets say it does not.
    Can anyone confirm?

7. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

I just received my new Denon 2802 receiver today, and I am very happy with it. This receiver does have onscreen display, and I used it to set up my speakers and my dvd player. The sound is incredible. I believe you will like this receiver as I do.

8. Rob_J_T

Rob_J_T Auditioning

Cool. Thanks Perrin. I think that's the final selling point for me then.
    It's cheaper , has all the same features, plus switching.

9. Barry_R

Barry_R Stunt Coordinator

I'm also trying to decide between these two units. Does anyone know what the bandwidth is on the Denon's component video inputs? I'm not able to find it anywhere. I know the Yamaha has a 60 mghz bandwidth on the component inputs.
    Also, generally, if you hook up one of the video outputs to the composite input on your VCR, what controls which signal is sent out to the VCR? Is it always the main selected video signal, or can that ever be controlled independently?
    THANKS. Barry.

10. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Well Barry, with the MPAA forcing encrypted digital video interconnects (DVI and/or FireWire) for HDTV down everyone's throat, pretty soon the analog component video inputs and switching capabilities will only be good for 480i/p sources anyway. I'd say don't worry. The Denon 2802 is a pretty nice receiver. I do like DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoding too.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

11. Barry_R

Barry_R Stunt Coordinator

I'm mainly interested in verifying if it has the bandwidth to handle 480p like the Yamaha, which it appears that it does. I don't have a HD-STB yet, and can always connect directly when I do.
    Also, I've found that the Yamaha model above the HTR-5490 and the RX-V1200, the RX-V2200, does have the ability to record one input while watching a different input. Check page 41 of the on-line Yamaha owners manual. The 2200 also has a learning remote with macro abilities. Not sure if this is worth an extra $300 though.
    Barry.