Yamaha HTR-5490 Problems...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt*Rodenberg, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Matt*Rodenberg

Matt*Rodenberg Auditioning

Hey i was wondering if anyone could help me with a problem i've been having.. I recently bought a Yamaha HTR-5490 receiver. I love it, it works great, except for one thing. I can't seem to get my optical sound working. I'm not sure if it's a receiver problem or a user problem [​IMG] . I'm using the Cinema mode and the DTS light is on but i only get sound if i have my composite cable hooked up to the audio. When i just have the optical hooked up i get nothing... Maybe i'm mistaken but do i need the composite and optical hooked up or what? I would take it back but i find it kind of hard to believe that every optical hookup on the receiver doesn't work. Any help or sugguestions is greatly appreciated.. Late
    Edit: I've tried 4 different optical cables 3 of which i know work from previous usage and several optical hookups on the receiver...

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Matt,

Usually, you need to define the type of input for the DVD input on your receiver. It sounds like it is set up in a "default" mode to recognize the digital cable input. You might want to go back through your manual and see if you can change the input from digital cable to optical. I've been bitten by this bug before. Best of luck.

3. Matt*Rodenberg

My receiver has DTS, Analog, and Auto settings. I'm sure i'm using a 5.1 encoded dvd so that's not the prob.. When i set the receiver to DTS i have no sound.. Analog/auto i have sound. The manual says the order it looks in on auto is:

1) Dolby Digital or DTS signal
    2) Digital (PCM) Signal
    3) Analog signal

With 5.1 i shouldn't need the normal rca hookups just the optical cable correct?

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

What are you using for source player? Are the settings correct there? I know with my JVC DVD player I will not get DTS without switching to Bitstream. My selections are Bitstream...DD/PCM...PCM.

Your composite connection should have no bearing on the digital input.

5. Matt*Rodenberg

Hey Paul. I have a Panasonic RP56. I checked the settings. DD is set to bitstream, DTS wasn't but i set it to bitstream, PCM Down Conversion is set to OFF... Even with the DTS set to bitstream i tested with the 5.1 track on the F&F dvd and still no sound.. *shrugs* I switched the player from the dvd hookup to the d-tv/ld just to make sure maybe the optical hookup for it isn't messed up but still no sound.... I just thought of something though. Do you think maybe the 5.1 decoder in the receiver is messed up? Maybe that's why none of the optical inputs work... [​IMG]

6. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Hello Matt,

Sounds bad. The 5490 was a recent purchase? Warrantied?
    If there is no sound on Optical input does the 56 have coax out? Do your coax inputs work?

I almost bought the 5490 from the Wholesale Connection awhile ago. I can't believe how many digital inputs are on that sucker.

7. Matt*Rodenberg

Fairly recent big p. Recent enough for the warranty to cover it tho not recent enough for the salespeople to rush to help me when i walk in [​IMG] Erm if i'm getting you right it has coax but i haven't tried it.. If you meant composite yeah it works.
    Well the high number of optical inputs is kind of disleading.... Yeah it has 5? 6? but only 2? 3? of them have video along with it which is kind of a problem for me since i have 2 dvd players and 2 game systems. DVD, D-TV/LD and MAYBE the CBL/SAT have video/optical tho i think it's coax for the cbl/sat. There's an opt input on the v-aux but it doesn't have component. I might use it for my old dvd player and just have my new one hooked up with component.

8. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    I just skimmed the replies but I didn't see anyone mention anything about assignable digital inputs. The 5490 (like many other yammies) allows you to change around all the digital inputs.

Check to see on the back panel which digital input your DVD player is hooked up to. In this case only look at the numbers not the descriptions. Remember, Yamaha has "fixed and assignable" digital inputs which basically just means that the digital inputs are assigned certain ports on the back from factory, however, you can change them all around via the set menu later.

So anyway, go into the set menu and verify that the optical digital input used is set to DVD. Check your manual for directions on how to do this, should be under "I/O Assignment".

Also, be sure that when you set the receiver to DVD to make sure that the input mode is set to auto. Hit the Input Mode button on the front panel until it reads Auto.

If this still doesn't work, try using other optical ports and re-assign them. Also try playing normal CD music. And be sure to have only the optical cable connected, no other audio connections from DVD to recevier.

Let us know how it works out.

- Mike

9. Matt*Rodenberg

Ahhh Thx mike.. That got it working.... Guess i'll take the manual to work and figure out what the hell i'm doing =) *does a lil dance* Quick question... If i'm watching a 2.1? encoded dvd will the signal still go through the optical cable or do i still need the normal composite cable hooked up?

10. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Matt,
    Glad that solved your problem. I remember running into that problem when I first hooked mine up. Helps to read the manual, doesn't it? [​IMG]
    As for 2 channel DVDs, yes, the optical cable is all you need. Since all information on a DVD is digital, your 5490 can decode it all, DD, DTS, and 2 channel digital. It can do 96 kHz/24-bit DVD-Audio via optical cable as well, but I don't think it supports SACD. You'll need to use the external decoder inputs for that.
    Btw, no need to bring your manual into work, you can view it online at Yamaha's site.
    - Mike

11. Matt*Rodenberg

Ooops haha i already brought it in to work [​IMG] Well i'm used to the old receivers where you just plug it in and use it heh. Whoever thought a receiver could get so complicated.. Thx for the help tho guys.. Greatly appreciated.. Nice to find a forum where people help