What's new

Yamaha HTR-5460 with a separate EQ? (1 Viewer)

WilliamRP

Auditioning
Real Name
WRP
Help. I upgraded my family room power unit from the Yamaha RX-340 to a Yamaha HTR-5460 A/V unit. This is a good thing however, I"m having difficulty integrating components.

I listen to a lot of live music, not all of which is professionally produced. As a result, I've relied upon an aging ADS Equalizer to adjust the sound for some of these live recordings. When listening to commercial music, I simply bypass the EQ. I also enjoy the slight boost in Wattage output as I am running the main speakers out of the A/V unit to a Russound speaker selector w/ separate volume controls for kitchen, patio, living room.

I had the EQ plugged into the RX unit with through the "Tape 1 Monitor" button. The CD player plugged right into the EQ. Simple!

My newer HTR unit has no such Tape 1 button. In fact, I don't think there's a "tape" button at all on this unit. How can I continue to use my EQ for live music listening? Can I plug the EQ into the CD RCA input jack then run the CD player into the EQ?

I don't want to fry anything but also am not ready to give up on the use of this EQ which is really spectacular for lesser recordings.

Thanks,

Bill

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes, exactly as you listed...

RCA from CD/Whatever 2 channel source into the EQ then EQ RCA out into the AVR via the analog 2 channel input of your choice.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
William,

Modern receivers have deleted the traditional tape monitor loop because they generated some havoc with DVD players. DVD players typically use digital connections, and that is a separate signal path from the analog connections of other components in the system, like VCRs for instance. The problem was that when the tape monitor was egaged, you’d get no sound from the DVD player or any other digital source. No doubt many people couldn’t figure out what the problem was and returned their receivers as defective. The average consumer struggles as it is getting a handle on complicated home theater technology without getting curve balls like that! It’s really no loss, though, since few people record music from their home theater systems anymore.

You’ve got the right idea if you want to retain the equalizer for music: Just insert it between the CD player and the receiver.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks