Yamaha HTR-5460 OSD with component

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Jac, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Chris Jac

Chris Jac Auditioning

I have a Yamaha HTR-5460 receiver and currently have my DVD player hooked up with component cables to the Yamaha then Component cables to the TV. I cannot see the OSD (on-screen display) when watching DVDs. The OSD operates fine when watching Sat via S-video. Just wondering if there is a way to have the OSD operate via component. Is this what the "monitor out" s-video output is for? Can you connect component and s-video to the same tv input? didn't think that would be possible.

2. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

In a word, No. The osd only works via s-video and composite video output. If an input has both an s-video and a component associated with it then it will only pick up one or the other.

3. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Welcome to the forum Chris! I think you'll like it here [​IMG]
    To answer your question, your receiver and 95%(maybe exaggerating here [​IMG]) of the rest of the world's receivers are unable to display OSD using component. There is only a handful of receivers that can display OSD using componenet. Ones that come to mind are Denon's AVR5803 and the Pioneer '49TX. You can see that these are flagship receivers, but I will expect to see this become the norm in the future.
    For now we are left using the s-video connections for OSD. Frankly, after I set everything I hardly ever go back to change anything.

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

The experimental question here, and I'm not clear if you tried it, is whether the Yamaha will recognize an S-Video from Monitor Out to the tv while the component cable is in place. (I do not have component cables, so ???)

To get OSD from my Yamaha with S-Video from the rcvr, the tv video input must be switched to its S-Video screen position.