What's new

Yamaha HTR-5430 Receiver (1 Viewer)

Rons1985

Auditioning
Real Name
Ron S
I'm hoping someone can help me out on this. I just bought the aforementioned receiver and have carefully hooked up the 6 speakers for my home theater system to it. Those are; front left/center/right and rear left/center/right. I don't have a subwoofer...yet. I took much care in ensuring that pos and negs were connected properly. I went through the steps of "centering" the sound to the room seats, including entering the room size. My speakers are 6 ohms and made sure the switch on the receiver was selected as such. When I turned on the receiver I immediately noticed that all speakers sounded very "AM-ish", not at all like the Panasonic receiver I had just replaced. They aren't large or great quality speakers but, still, they sounded much deeper with more base with my old (11 years old) Panasonic receiver. I'm stumped, to say the least. I've tried selecting the A/B speaker buttons...nothing. I've tried selecting different types of sound such as "Rock", "Theater/movies", etc and there was little difference in sound quality. I feel as though I'm missing something. I had a Fisher receiver years ago for just music in my family room and I recall it having a switch (I forget what it was) that, when selected, made the music sound tinny. If I unselected it I got the rich base sound again. I've been looking for that "magical" button on the Yamaha but nothing so far. Now I need a pro's help. I know these speakers are cheap but I also know they are capable of sounding way better than they do at present. I need suggestions. I've adjusted the db on each channel but it made no discernible difference in sound quality. This unit has "analog" and "DTS" (don't know what the latter is), and "auto" for each of DVD/TV/CD/etc selections and I've noticed that I don't get any sound from analog or DTS, only the "auto" selection. I suspect that is where my problem is but I don't know anything about DTS. The speakers are hooked up by putting the wire behind the thumb screw knobs. I have banana connectors on order just for ease of connecting. My DVD audio connection is a digital wire. The audio in for the DirectTv is connected to receiver by RCA wires. Both are what I used on the last receiver so that hasn't changed. I really wish the makers of these things would write the directions in more simplistic terms for us who want the theater experience in our homes but are not "tech geeks." A "Manual For Dummies" of sorts. In the words of John Lennon this is "most peculiar mama!"

Last edited:

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Make sure your front l/r (or mains) are set to 'large' or 'full'. Also make sure you tell your receiver that you do not have a sub (this may set the mains correctly by default) I'm not familiar with your receiver so I can't tell you exactly where to look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks