Yamaha HTR-5280 vs. Pioneer VSX-D810S : Which is better ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Stanton, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

Yamaha HTR-5280 vs. Pioneer VSX-D810S : Which is better ??
    I am debating over which of these recievers I should get. I am going to be hooking up the JBL NSP1 5 speaker package along with the JBL 250 watt subwoofer. I work at best buy and the 2 recievers I am debating over are the best 2 in the store I think. But which one would be better hooked to these speakers? The Pioneer one runs alot cheaper than the Yamaha one, but the Pioneer one has 6 channels while it's only at 100watts per channel. But the Yamaha has 5 channels, but rated at 110 watts per channel. So which one should I get? I just want some opinions on this before I go out and purchase one. Thanks.
    -Drew

2. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

I believe that we still get the Yamaha HTR-5280 receiver for $399.99 with the accommodations form on TagWire, which is actually a pretty good deal.
    Actually, the Yamaha is 100Wpc if you rate it at a proper 20-20,000Hz frequency range (110Wpc is its 1KHz rating).
    The Pioneer has a discrete output for the back surround; the Yamaha matrixes this channel information into the rear speakers. Both products do DTS-ES matrix processing (but not the "Discrete" processing). The Pioneer has 7.1-ch. inputs, while the Yamaha has 5.1-ch. inputs. Both receivers have preouts for all amplified channels.
    The thing that makes the Yamaha really shine though is its noticeably higher-quality construction with anti-resonant aluminum front-panel (the Pioneer uses a plastic front panel) and its raw number of audio and video inputs. The Yamaha also has a wide-range amplifier that's rated up to 100KHz. I'm kind of partial to the Yamaha model myself.
    ------------------

3. Jason Caudill

Jason Caudill Stunt Coordinator

As a fellow employee I would have to agree that the Yamaha is the better choice. In fact i have one myself. I picked it up the first day it came in last fall. While the 6.1 is cool do you really want to shell out another $100 for that rear center channel? I think that the matrix system on the Yamaha works pretty well (Gladiator, T2, etc.)
    You may also be able to pick up the Pioneer 850s the next step up from the 810, I know it is our system. Overall the Yamaha is a better reciever IMO.

4. Drew Stanton

Drew Stanton Extra

^