Yamaha HTR-5250 vs Sherwood RD-7106

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Lofgren, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

I'm considering my first receiver purchase for my first home theater set-up. The Yamaha and the Sherwood are two of the ones I'm considering. If anyone has any experience with either of these I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you.

2. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

I would first go to audioreview.com and read the cumulative reviews on both of these models. The better amplifier specs are on the Yamaha. That does not necessarily mean that it would sound better than the Sherwood. If you have fondness for DSPs, Yamaha leads in the performance of these;I do not think the Sherwoods would be that good but I do not like DSPs at all and have tried them on a Yamaha 2095 and a Sherwood 6095R. The 7106 does have CIRCLE SURROUND. The idea is to retrieve a two channel source and give it a 5 channel type sound. Its function is supposed to be something like the new Dolby Pro-Logic 2 and the Logic 7 configurations. I read a report sometime ago that it was not too bad but did not compare the the other two items I mentioned. Personally, I would rather take a chance on the CIRCLE SURROUND then all the DSPs mentioned. It would be best if you have the ability to try both units and of course return the one you are not satisfied with. It involves LEG WORK, but that is how you learn about the variations in the equipment; nothing like HANDS ON. The 5250 is an older Yamaha model. Some of the newest models have 5 channel stereo which many receiver owners seem to like. Some of the Sherwoods actually use Yamaha chips for their D.D./DTS decoding. Good Luck.