What's new

Yamaha HTR-5063/RX-V567 No Audio on TV (1 Viewer)

peleliu

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene

I just bought a Yamaha HTR-5063 (same as RX-V567). I cannot get sound from input AV1 hooked to my DVD player using Component Video and Digital Optical Audio out. The receiver is connected to my Panasonic HDTV using HDMI. HDTV works fine on HDMI from the cable box as does AV5 which is for Composite video/audio (yellow-white-red) when inputting the same DVD signals. I am trying to use analog to digital upscale with audio provided from the Optical Digital output of the DVD player. Here's the summary:

Using receiver AV1 input from DVD Player:

Component Video - Displays OK on HDTV

Optical Digital Audio - No sound on HDTV, but Signal Info Menu displays Dolby D, Sampling 48 KHz and Bitrate 224 kbps. If I stop the DVD the displayed info goes away. So the digital sound is making it to the receiver but doesn't get to the HDTV.

I do get sound when I input DVD Composite Video/Audio on AV5 input.

I waded through the Owner's Manual and tried everything I could think of. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated!!

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed

Originally Posted by peleliu /forum/thread/304394/yamaha-htr-5063-rx-v567-no-audio-on-tv#post_3733071
You aren't trying to play the sound through tv's speakers?

If the receiver shows "Dolby D" in it's display window, when a dvd is playing, chances are it's a 5.1 surround signal it's receiving. Using optical for audio, you may have to assign the input you use, since the receiver doesn't seem to have an optical input factory assigned to DVD. The manual will tell you how to assign inputs. This is most likely the problem.

This is the only thing I can think of, off the top of my head. If you figure it out, let us know what it was. Good luck!

peleliu

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene
Thanks for your input. The choices on the DVD for Digital Audio out and the resulting Audio Info info displayed on the HTR-5063 are:

DVD Receiver

Stream/PCM Dolby D

PCM Only PCM

Dolby Digital/PCM Dolby D

I tried all three and still no TV audio. I will hook up the speakers next to see if I get audio through the receiver.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
So, you were trying to listen through tv speakers? No need to use receiver if you're going to listen through tv speakers. Just run component cables straight to tv for video. Since tv has no digital inputs for audio, except HDMI, you'll just need to use the red & white analog cables to tv, for audio. You may need to double check settings in tv's menus.

If you want surround sound, speakers must be connected to receiver. TV can't play in 5.1 surround, since there's only two speakers.

If you're using component for video, it should upconvert the video to HDMI for output to tv. But, I don't think it will convert the optical audio to the HDMI for output to tv (Nothing on Yamaha's site saying it will do that). You need an audio connection from receiver to tv, for what you were trying to do.

If you connect speakers to receiver, and run audio through that, it should work a lot better. If you have all the speakers connected, you should get surround sound from dvds too, which wasn't possible with what you were doing.

Good luck!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Gene:

I have the Yamaha RX-V665, which I think is very similar to your V567. I'm pretty sure the 665 only does audio pass-through in standby mode for digital audio that comes in via HDMI. I don't think it will port the optical digital input to HDMI out. (All of my gear - cable DVR, 2 DVD changers and BD player - are connected to the Yamaha via HDMI and one HDMI output runs to my JVC TV. Everything works great with the receiver for surround sound and the TV for "just watching TV." The only downside to the 665 is that you can't switch inputs when it is in stand-by mode. So if you want to watch TV you have to remember to switch to the cable box input before turning it "off". (The next model up - which was not on sale when I bought the 665 - had this feature, but it wasn't worth the extra money.)

Ed:

So, you were trying to listen through tv speakers? No need to use receiver if you're going to listen through tv speakers.

As noted above, some of the Yamahas will passively send audio from connected components over HDMI to the TV when they are powered "off" ((in stand-by.) This is great for late-night viewing or "just watching TV." The nice thing about this feature is that it simplifies the connections. Just one HDMI cable to the TV, no need for alternate connections to get audio from the DVR or anything else. (And yes, I sometimes commit the heresy of listening to a DVD over the TV speakers. Mostly old TV shows or documetnary stuff where sound isn't a huge issue. And I must say the stereo speakers in my JVC H-DILA RPTV are pretty good. Much better than the ones in my brother-in-law's brand-new 60" Sony LCD.)

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley

I know what you mean. I always loved LCoS as a technology, Best bang for the buck at certain image sizes, and a new bulb basically makes it a new TV every few years. OTOH, that Sony has a damned good picture. Best black levels I have ever seen on an LCD set. Looks great with the Panasonic BD player I gave them. And it is 1080p, unlike my "ancient" 720p JVC. But I still like that LCoS picture and the way it looks with my BD player.

Regards,

Joe

peleliu

Auditioning
Real Name
Gene
Originally Posted by Ed Moxley

But, I don't think it will convert the optical audio to the HDMI for output to tv (Nothing on Yamaha's site saying it will do that). You need an audio connection from receiver to tv, for what you were trying to do.

If you connect speakers to receiver, and run audio through that, it should work a lot better. If you have all the speakers connected, you should get surround sound from dvds too, which wasn't possible with what you were doing.

Yes, it appears this is the answer. I will have to run the extra audio cable from the DVD to the TV to benefit from the DVD Component Video on the TV. Using the other approach, when I output the DVD Component Video and Digital Optical Audio through the receiver, I do get sound on the receiver's speakers and picture on the TV. I wanted to simplify the cabling to the TV which is on a pull-out rotating shelf in a wall cabinet. I don't want to pull on more cables than necessary. I also wanted to verify that the receiver was working properly in case I needed to return it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks