Yamaha hookup question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Giles, Mar 9, 2003.

1. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

Okay, I usually don't have any problem hooking up my gear, but this situation is a little more complex than usual. I'm hoping one of you hookup gurus can help me out.

Here's the basic question: Will the Yamaha STR-5280 receiver output a video signal through it's Composite and S-Video "Monitor Out" jacks at the same time, so that two display devices can be run off of the receiver without having to swap wires on the back of the receiver? Or will the S-video OVERRIDE or DISABLE the composite output jack.

If you want background for why I'm asking, read on. But if you know the answer and don't care why, just let me know. If you're wondering why I don't just hook it up and see for myself, the answer is that I don't have a 20 foot S-Video cable handy, and I live in a small town. I'll have to drive about 45 miles this afternoon to get one (and I don't think it'll be cheap either), and then crawl up in my attic and run it from my receiver to my projector to find out. I'd rather be pretty sure it'll work before doing all that.

Here's the background:

I've got a Yamaha STR-5280 receiver, and until yesterday, I've only had one display (previously a Mits 65" RPTV, and now a Panasonic L300u projector). I ran component straight from the DVD to the projector, and the DVD's digital audio output ran to the Yamaha's digital audio input. I ran coax from the cable box to the VCR, and the cable and VHS signals were output from the VCR to the Yamaha's VCR1 input (composite video and L/R audio). Then a composite wire ran to the projector. So when I wanted to watch cable or VCR, I simply hit "input - VCR" on the Yamaha and set the projector's input to composite. When I wanted to watch DVD, I hit "input - DVD" on the Yamaha, and switched the projector's video input from composite to component. Everything worked perfectly.

Now, in trying to preserve the bulb and general lifespan of the projector, I've purchased a 32" Samsung direct view for everyday TV and VHS viewing (especially for my 3 year old - no need to see Sesame Street on a 110" screen). The 32" will be directly under the projection screen, and although it's mainly for TV and VHS, I'd like for my son to be able to watch the occasional Thomas the Train DVD on it too.

The direct view has component, S-video, and composite inputs. Right now I've temporarily run some connections just to see how it'll all work. I still have component running straight from the DVD to the projector, and the digital audio signal from the DVD to "Input - DVD" on the Yamaha. I also ran a composite cable from the DVD's video output to "Input - DVD" on the Yamaha. (the DVD player DOES send video signals out from component and composite at the same time).

Then I disconnected the composite wire from the Yamaha's "Monitor Out" jack that was used to feed the projector Cable and VHS video signals. I plugged a different composite cable into the "Monitor Out" jack and ran it to the Composite in on the back of the direct view.

So right now, if I want to watch any source on the direct view, I set the direct view to "Video", and whatever video signal is currently selected on the Yamaha shows up on the TV. I hit "Input - VCR" on the Yamaha to see VHS or Cable on the TV. I hit "Input - DVD" to see DVD on the TV. In both cases of course, sound comes from the sound system, not the TV.

To watch DVD on the projector, I change it's video input to component, and leave the Yamaha set to "Input - DVD". This way I'm getting component video straight from the DVD, and digital audio through the receiver.

The only thing left out, is that right now, I can't get VHS or cable over the projector (yeah the picture quality of VHS or cable sucks at 110", but I'd like to have it available anyway). The only inputs left available on the back of the projector are S-Video and composite. I'm already running composite out of the back of the Yamaha to the TV, and component straight from the DVD to the projector. So that only leaves the "Monitor Out" S-Video jack on the back of the Yamaha, and the S-Video input on the back of the projector.

So if I hook up an S-Video cable into the "Monitor Out" on the back of the Yamaha, and plug it into the S-Video input on the back of the projector, WILL THIS DISABLE OR OVERRIDE THE COMPOSITE OUT ON THE YAMAHA? If it does, then obviously I won't be able to get video signals to the TV.

Also assuming the S-Video and composite jacks do output at the same time, will the fact that all the inputs coming into the Yamaha are composite be a problem since I'm sending S-Video to the projector.?

Another option: Run the composite cable to the projector, since VHS and cable signals are crap anyway, and run S-video out from the DVD to the Yamaha, then S-video from the Yamaha to the TV, so that I get the best DVD picture on the TV. But will there be a problem with the composite signals coming from the cable and VCR going into the Yamaha and coming out through the S-video to the TV?

If you've read this far, you've got a lot of patience! Thanks for any assistance you can offer. If I've said anything that doesn't sound right, I might have just misworded something (or mixed up inputs/outputs in my head).

David

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

3. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Wayne!

But I finally figured out a different way to do it the other day.

Since the cable box, DVD player, and VCR are all inputting composite signals into the Yamaha, I just ran a composite cable from the "VCR2 - Out" video jack on the back of the Yamaha, to the TV. This gives me all three sources on the TV without having to switch inputs on the TV (depending on which source I choose on the Yamaha). I didn't run any audio cables to the TV since everything goes through the sound system.

The only slight negative would be that I'm not getting quite as good a DVD picture as I would if I were running S-Video straight from the DVD player to the TV. But it is simpler, since my wife (or son when he gets a little older) don't have to change any inputs on the TV. And besides, if any of us really want to watch a DVD in all it's glory, we turn on the projector.

Thanks again,

David