What's new

Yamaha going very low end? (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
S&V mag just did a review on the Yamaha RX-V730. The receiver performed worse than many $400 receivers from less highend brands. VERY, very disappointing.

P.53, Dolby Digital performance.

100watts/1 channel driven, 38watts/5 channels driven, 27.5 watts/6 channels driven. Noise level, -67.7 db.

Stereo performance

88watts/2 channels driven

Noise modulation 2 db

The receiver is rated at 75watts/2 channels driven and carries a list MSRP price of $599.

Follow this link to other test results from S&V.

Mark All

Second Unit
Yamaha covers a broad range of the market with their receivers. To me, their amp sections are very clean but a little underpowered until one gets to their line that costs above about $1200. I still use a HTR-5280 in a second system. It's not very powerful but does get home theater pounding pretty well, produces a very clean (some might say bright) sound, doesn't get hot, and has been rock-solid reliable. The market is pretty crowded with choices in the lower price range. Although the RX-V730 has an MSRP of $599, I wouldn't be surprised if it can be obtained for close to $400 online. S&V seems to be getting a little more critical in their testing lately, and I wouldn't be surprised to see reviews of other similarly priced receivers producing similar output results--if the manufacturers let them test with all 5-channels driven. High-output for all channels may not be a good thing necessarily if distortion levels increase along with the output. Yamaha receivers have been known to have slightly lower distortion levels than the competition in recent years.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The receiver performed worse than many $400 receivers from less highend brands. VERY, very disappointing.
Which $400 receivers? S&V does their own independent power output testing, not just parrot the manufacturer’s claims. So if you’re comparing that to the manufacture’s specs for some $400 receiver, you might be comparing apples to oranges.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Which $400 receivers? S&V does their own independent power output testing, not just parrot the manufacturer’s claims. So if you’re comparing that to the manufacture’s specs for some $400 receiver, you might be comparing apples to oranges.
It's actual power test RESULTS if you follow the link I provided in that post.

S&V's tests

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry, I guess since I knew model numbers, I expected others to also know, sorry.

Since that site is free, it goes down when it's max data rate is exceeded and right now, it's down.

Basically what I was referring to was the standard Pioneer receivers, standard Kenwood receivers, standard sherwood receivers, and etc. Most of these lower end lines don't exceed $500 MSRP. The Pioneer 811 came to mind as well as the cheaper Panasonic receivers. If you look there aren't many receivers with this low of a rating. The Marantz SR7200 had this, but was said to have defective capacitors that had caused this lower power output. Not saying this was a good receiver(IMO it was not), just saying this problem was supposedly not caused by design but a defective part.

The Sony DB also had this problem as did the Yamaha RX-V1200. I've spoke to Yamaha about the poor power output on the RX-V1200 and they spoke candid with me, admitting they skimped on the power output. They reassured me that this was corrected in the RX-V1300 and RX-V2300. They even sighted the S&V article. This is why I really like Yamaha, it's their great support. If it weren't for quality control troubles with the last 2 'new' receivers I had from them, I would had stayed loyal. Also in my defection, I found better SQ from their competitor and now would likely not buy another of their products. Tomorrow is another day though.;)

I have a good suspicion that any receiver replacing the RX-V*30 line will be improved on the power side, as were the RX-V*300 models. The RX-V730 was in the same model line as the RX-V1200, which both had anemic power output. I don't think this was characteristic of their earlier lines, as the RX-V*96 and RX-V(*)*95 series. While I'm not happy with Yamaha's declined performance, I do think they will make a come back where they once were.

Take it easy.

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
Well i have a Yamaha HTR-5560 which is the same as an RXV630 and it has no trouble filling my room with sound. I will be returning it at the end of my 30 day trial because its not a true discrete 6.1 channel reciever. Anyone have an idea when the next generation of yamaha recievers come out?

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
The Panasonic SAHE100 ($400, $250 at most stores) is 78 x 6 and 70 x 5.

Aaron, either that was a typo, or they didn't measure it the same way 5 vs 6 channels. Add 2-3 channels more, and will make 100w channel amp of it :D

JohnS

NickC

Second Unit
the 55 series is the latest of yamaha receivers, the 54 was before that in the HTR line.....

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
We just put our 5560 on clearance--probably a pretty good sign that something new will be here within two months.

Scott

NickC

Second Unit
I thought the 55 line just came out recently? I bought a 5490 last june, 2002, and I didnt see the 55 series until a few months ago??

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
The HTR series are clones of the RX-V series and have been released 6 months later than the RX-V series in the past, presumably not to be competitive with the RX-V series. The RX-V series is pushed by audio 'only' shops, not superstores and no support, on-line stores.

There's something to be said, in keeping with the original series and not going with a superstore clone.

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the only difference in the RXV and HTR models were that the RXV models had preouts and that everything else was the same.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
RX-V740?? Where will that fit in their line, below the RX-V1300? Hope they offer that in black.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Starting at the 5560 and going up,htr series does have preouts.
Not true. The HTR-5590 does not have preamp outputs as seen here.

Crutchfield stopped selling the HTR-5590 after dropping the price for a time. Since this is the only receiver in the $800 MSRP price class without preamp outputs, which makes it inferior to it's own NONE exact RX-V1300 clone and other manufacture $800 MSRP models, Crutchfield may have been taking heat for pushing a known inferior product for such a high price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks