What's new

Yamaha DVP-S2300, universal DVD-A / SACD (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin said:

Dang, maybe Keith is *still* on to something with buying a peak performing SACD player for SACD, and a peak performing DVD-A/V player for DVD-A/V...
Hopefully Denon will get it right with the DVD-2900. As I recall, Denon is also supposed to release a higher-end universal player that will replace the '9000. I didn't hear anything concrete about this coming from CES.

Arron H

Second Unit
I understand that the soon to be released Rotel 1060 will not be a universal player but has anyone heard much about this player? It is supposed to come in at about half of the price of the Marantz 8300 with similar specs. I am more audiophile than videophile.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I dont know from reading that hometheaterhifi report on dvd players the yamaha is looking better and better all the time, they compared it favorably to the RP-82 for video, and from what everyone here has said its no slouch in the audio department..... I may not wait to see the denon (assuming i ahve a choice in the matter) My local dealers still dont have any Universal players.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Well I just spoke to my dealer and he's being told they'll be available by the end of the month. Yamaha is being a little strange about this one. He had been told to expect it the first week of this month. Then there's all those people who did manage to get hold of one already. They need to get this one out there before others beat them.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
That's just it: Secrets has only covered the video so far. People may not like S&V, but their measurements don't lie. (They spotted the hiss problem in the early 950's and no one else did.) S&V's tests say that the audio on the Yamaha, except for SACD, isn't that great.
So far, I have come to the conclusion that: Pioneer is better for audio (gotta love those Burr-Brown's!), Yamaha is better for video, ... but I listen to 80% 2 channel music.
Secrets *has* done audio testing of DVD players in the past. Maybe there will be a part 2...
Yeah, and we can look forward to when the Denon comes out. Or, what I'm a really a waitin' fo': a Sony ES universal player. 20 lbs, $2k list, $1500 street. :)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Tony- There were no measurements for that. That's supposed to be tested by the reviewer in terms of his listening tests. All the tests measure for BM are the crossover slopes. And that does exist under some circumstances (!) for the Pioneer players. Remember, the Marantz 8300, Onkyo/Integra machines are all also based on Pioneer 47a/47ai internals.

Leo

Second Unit
Geez lots of fireworks over players. For now I'm using my Pioneer DV-45a to enjoy SACD and DVD-A audio. The video is ok - I'm using it with a Mits 65819 so it will show things like the chroma issue when I'm looking for it - most of my family and friends have no clue what a chroma bug is. But if a better DVD player (since I missed out on the RP-82 train) comes out I'll take a look for it. Most of my time is spent watching movies so having a nice video transport is important. We'll see what shows up as the next in line to succeed the Panasonic RP-82.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Seriously, with all the hoop-la surrounding (get it? hee, hee: "surround" sound) the rp-82:
WHEN WILL PANASONIC DO A UNIVERSAL-FREAKING-PLAYER? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks