Yamaha DVP-S2300, universal DVD-A / SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick TX, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

Hi! Anyone have ANY more info on this puppy?
    Yamaha DVP-S2300. Universal DVD-Audio, SACD & progressive scan video, with a Faroudja DCDi video-processing chip.
    It is supposed to be released in December, at a street price of $1000. I'm wondering if it's single disc, or carousel. I'm hoping single disc.[​IMG]

2. Sach

Sach Stunt Coordinator

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Patrick, the 'S2300 will be a single-disc player. The 'S' denotes single-disc. Yamaha uses a 'C' or 'CX' in the model number for DVD changers.

4. Patrick TX

SWEET, & thanks! Now I don't have to buy a Pioneer! I was wanting a Universal Player, but not wanting to mix & match components. I already have a Yamaha RX-V1. I didn't see anything mentioned regarding Bass management. I need to RTFM of my Receiver I guess! I'm not sure if it has Bass management on those inputs. Thanks for the link, I'll wait for that player!

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Patrick, no problem. Few receivers offer bass management on the multi-channel inputs, so I doubt that your 'V1 does it, even though it was a flagship model. I could be wrong, of course. I know that the Denon AVR-5800 and current '5803 perform bass management on the multi-channel inputs (in the analog domain, meaning without conversion to digital and then back to analog).
    At this point, I am assuming that the 'S2300 does not offer full bass management. It probably lacks an adjustable crossover frequency. If this is the case and this is a concern for you, you ought to consider purchase an ICBM from Outlaw for $250. Go to www.outlawaudio.com .

6. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    The RX-V1 does not have BM on the 5.1 inputs. Ironically, a predecessor had it (DSP-A1 – I think). Yamaha removed it to provide “a purer signal path” for hi-res audio, not realizing how needed it really was.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Craig, thanks. I appreciate the notion of the "purer signal path", but many people want bass management. It looks like the ICBM is the way to go then.

8. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Ken,

HUH? The 5800 has NO BM/TA on its EXT-IN analog inputs. The 5803 most certainly does D/A in order to apply BM/TA to the signal before D/Aing them to the amps. Where do you come up with this stuff?

Austin

9. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,

Before you completely write-off Pioneer, maybe you should check out the 49TXi receiver/47Ai universal player combo. 1394 standard (non-proprietary) firewire link to deliver DIGITAL hirez DVD-Audio and SACD from the player into the receiver. Full bass management and MCACC on both sources entirely in the DIGITAL domain before conversion to analog and onto the amps. One cable rather than the 12 or 18 you need with the ICBM. And the ICBM doesn't do time alignment. Check it out.

Austin

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

FYI, from the pictures posted at that UK site, the Yamaha uses the same style remote as other Pioneer players. Probably also based on the 47a or 47ai. But it does weigh a hefty 10.5 kg (~23 lbs?, which is like 9 lbs or so more than the 47a).

11. Seth V

Seth V Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if this new player is going to have an aluminum faceplate, or is it going to be plastic like the other yamaha models?

12. Patrick TX

I'm betting metal, as it's pretty dang heavy. I have been waiting to get a Plasma & a Progressive DVD until we sell this house & move. I currently have a Sony 61" RPTV and a Sony DVP-S7700 DVD. It's amazing to me the cheapness of most DVD's compared to the S7700. I really hope the Yamaha is nicely constructed. The Pioneers feel cheap as all get out.

13. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

[​IMG] Sniffle sniffle.... my local dealer just told me today that the yamaha wont be available in Canada.........
    And unfortunately the only choices i have for a universal player are the outrageously expensive marantz, or having the most uneducated neanderthal sales people order in the pioneer for me (just so you have perspective these are the same people who told me that only RCA makes widescreen direct view sets)
    oh my........ what to do.

14. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/download2.php
    I don't know if this has been posted yet but the manual for the DVD-S2300 is up on the Yamaha-Japan website.
    edit: Link doesn't seem to work for some reason. Go to www.yamaha.com and follow the Yamaha links on the home page to Japan. Choose consumer audio/video and then owners manuals. Navigate to DVD player manuals.

15. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

16. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

So what's known about the chipsets in this unit? Their site implies bass management for everything. What about the video? Does this chipset have the chroma bug or any other known problems? And what about color adjustments? My Mits 55411 doesn't allow color correction on progressive sources, and it has a nasty red push. I'm currently using a non-interlaced player rather than Malata because I end up with better colors.

I'm really intersted in this unit mainly because I want a good universal player, and my dealer doesn't carry Pioneer. I'm hoping I've finally found one to fit my needs.

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You might try a search here. I remember the Yamaha as being used from the same kit as the Pioneer DV-47a (ai). So the MPEG2 decoder does have the chroma bug. But someone mentioned that with Feroudja (sp?) processing, the bug might be less apparent.

18. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Any spotted street prices yet?

Martin.

19. Tom Lee

Tom Lee Agent

20. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Well the discussion picked up again on this at the AVS Forum linked above. Sounds like it does have bass management for DVD-Audio, but no details have been provided. Anybody know anything more yet like if it has an adjustable crossover? I can't remember my password or the e-mail I used at AVS so I can't get on there and ask right now.