yamaha dvd-s795 question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Derek Sedik, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Derek Sedik

Derek Sedik Auditioning

I've got a yamaha dvd-s795 that's a couple years old. I found out yesterday it cannot read dvd9 format dvd's. is there any upgrade I can do to resolve this other than replacing the whole unit? thanks!

2. Derek Sedik

Derek Sedik Auditioning

nobody has any idea?

well, are there a lot of DVD's using DVD9? I only have one so far. just trying to figure out what to do, it's otherwise a very nice player.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    If it can't play DVD9 discs there's something very wrong with it.

The 795 is essentially a Panasonic DVD-A320, a player which had a very bad reputation thanks to its high laser pickup failure rate. Players with faulty pickups would eventually refuse to play the second layer, locking up or pixellating at or just after the layer change.

If this is the problem it could be quite an expensive fix. Yamaha may be willing to cover some of the repair cost if you kick up a stink as it's a known problem; I wouldn't count on it though.

Most DVDs made nowadays are DVD9, so the inability to play them will be a major inconvenience.

Adam

4. Derek Sedik

Derek Sedik Auditioning

hmmm...thanks for the info. I've never had a problem reading any other disc, so I thought this was the only DVD9 one I had. is there a way to find out if a DVD is DVD9 format? keep in mind, this player is 2 years old, which I thought had to do with the compatibility issue?

5. Adam Barratt

Adam
    If you're only having problems with one disc, it could be a faulty disc rather than a problem with the player.

The age of the player shouldn't cause compatibility problems as every player from first gen on was designed to handle DVD9s (and the 795 is a third generation player).

DVD9s have been available for several years now (the first was the original Live release of Terminator 2) so chances are very high you've played quite a few of them over the last two years.

You can check whether a disc is a DVD9 by looking at the disc's playing surface. Most DVD9s are gold coloured, while DVD5s are silver (although some newer DVD9s are silver).

I imagine you have at least some DVD9s in your collection unless it's very small.

Adam

6. Derek Sedik

Derek Sedik Auditioning

thanks for the more info. I thought it was the DVD9 and not the actual disc, because there is a warning with the disc saying it's in the latest DVD9 format and if your player is more than 2 years old it won't play it. it also says that playstations won't play the disc. I didn't know DVD9 is so widespread. the player plays SW Episode I ok, which I imagine has to be DVD9?

7. Adam Barratt

Adam
    Whoever wrote the warning note must have been confused. DVD9 discs shouldn't cause problems for any player, regardless of age.

PlayStations won't play any type of DVD as they're based on CD-ROM technology, although PlayStation 2 will.

Star Wars: Episode One is presented on a DVD9 disc (as are virtually all major films released on DVD in the last two years).

Adam

8. Derek Sedik

Derek Sedik Auditioning

interesting that I can play the disc on another player, actually on a computer, but not on my yamaha. I can also play other DVD9 discs fine on the yamaha.