What's new

YAMAHA DVD-S657 player (any users??) (1 Viewer)

Claudio*C

Auditioning
Hello Gentlemen,
I'm looking for an opinion on this DVD player, specially regarding it's DVD-A, SACD and CD upsampling capabilities and image quality as well. I see that this is a relatively new product in the market, so I can't find any reviews yet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Claudio Chacón
ARGENTINA

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
That model number doesn't correspond to anything sold in the US. What specs and features does it have?

Recent and current US model universal players are the DVD-C750/DV-C6770, DVD-S1500, DVD-S2300 Mk II, DVD-S2500 and the DVD-C950 (just released). You can find features and specs on Yamaha's US website.

Claudio*C

Auditioning
Hi Dan. Thank you for your response.
Here are the specs of the 657 (copied and pasted from the Yamaha Japan site):
---------------------------------------------------------
Slim Progressive Scan DVD player with outstanding picture and sound quality, plus DVD-Audio/Super Audio CD playback.

Progressive Scan (NTSC/PAL)
108MHz/12-bit video DAC
DVD-Audio/Super Audio CD playback
CD upsampling
192kHz/24-bit audio DAC
Audio Direct
Versatile format and disc compatibility such as VR format recorded DVD-RW (with CPRM) and DVD+R Double Layer (DL) playback
MP3, JPEG, DivX and WMA multisession playback with navigation display
Picture CD (such as JPEG) playback with thumbnail display
JPEG/MP3 simultaneous playback for slide show
Easy operation with GUI (Graphical User Interface)
-----------------------------------------------------------

As far as I know, this is one of the few (if not the only) DVD player that Yamaha exports to Argentina.
I want to upgrade my Pioneer DV-333 to enjoy the new (for me)
DVD-Audio and SACD formats, and thought that the 657 could be a good choice within my not "high end budget", but I'm not sure.
I was considering the purchase of a Pioneer 578AS, which supports those formats, but the reviews in this forum regarding its DVD-A/SACD performance were bad, so I forgot it.

Maybe you can help me with some extra info or opinion about the Yamaha 657.

Many Thanks.
Claudio

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Claudio,

Does it have Faroudja DCDi processing? If it does, it sounds like the equivalent US model might be the DVD-S1500.

Most of the comments I've seen about the S1500 say the DVD-A/SACD audio quality is pretty good and the video quality is decent. Most of the complaints I've heard are mainly aimed at the user interface.

Here's a comparison chart of various Yamaha single disk players.

Claudio*C

Auditioning
Hello Dan,
The DVD-S657 has all the same specs of the DVD-S1500, except for the Faroudja DCDi processing. It also claims to have an improved user interface over the C750 and the S1500.
Is this Faroudja feature a true improvement in terms of final picture quality noticeable in a conventional TV set?
(I don't have a plasma TV)

Thanks for your reply.
Claudio.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Faroudaja is generally considered the best de-interlacing solution, so it works really well with DVDs transfered from NTSC source, like TV shows. It also does a good job with DVDs transfered from film sources, but some versions exhibit macro-blocking, particularly in dark areas. TTBOMK, the S1500 never suffered from macro-blocking.

What do you mean by "conventional TV set"? Does your TV accept progessive scanning inputs? Does it have component video, RGB, or SCART inputs? On a TV that does not do progressive scanning, I doubt you would see much difference from one DVD player to the next.

Claudio*C

Auditioning
No. Unfortunately my Philips 33" has no component, RGB or SCART inputs. Only S-Video and composite video inputs.

As I can't afford a Plasma TV, I'm saving to get a 38" Sony Wega (model KV-38FS105) which has Component video inputs.
(just to give you an idea, in Argentina the prices are very high: $2.400.- for the Sony Wega and $5.200.- for a Samsung 42" Plasma. I've paid $850.- for my Yamaha RX-V640. All prices shown in US dollars...so you get the picture.)

My doubt is: When a TV such as the Wega mentioned has Component Video inputs, does that fact necessarily translates into progressive scanning capabilities? (assuming that your DVD player has progressive scanning features, of course)

Thank you for your patience.
Claudio.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Just because a TV or DVD player has component video connections does not mean it does progressive scanning. You will need to check the Sony website to see if that model of TV can accept a progressive scan input.

Stefan_W

Auditioning
Apparently this player is just a rebranded version of the Philips DVP720SA (2 year old Philips multiformat player). I've read that it will even accept the Philips firmware. Unfortunate news, indeed...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks