Real Name
Chris Caine
hi,

thinking of getting this.
anyone have it, price paid, reviews?

thanks!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I know of one person on this forum who owns the 'CX1. He reported being very happy with it. I believe it sells for $1000 USD. Do a search of this board for discussions of the 'CX1, including commentary from the owner I mentioned.

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
I have been looking at this unit as well. It seems to be on closeout now although as far as I know it has only been out a few months? My local dealer was selling it for $699 as a demo but in the paper this am it was listed as $499 demo...I'm sure as a demo it doesn't have the original packing but should come with everything else. I may pick it up today as my old CD changer has about died and I have been wanting to try DVD-A anyway. Not able to take advantage of the progressive scan abilities as I have an older Sony RPTV. Does anyone know how the CX-1 performs and if it has any type of bass management for DVD-A? I will be running it through a DSP-A1 for now.

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
Keith: Thanks for the link. After reading it I remembered seeing it before. I am close to going to pick this up.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Steve, no problem. Let us know how you like the 'CX1. I am not really in the market for a new DVD-Audio player right now, but I am curious to read some feedback on the 'CX1.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
I started that thread-----Still love the player, but am looking to upgrade already--- I am thinking very seriously of a cinematrix modified player, so I am about to put this up for sale here on the forum. If you want first shot I am offering it at $650 + shipping. It is perfect!
cheers
Andrew B
[email protected]

Steve Simm

Stunt Coordinator
I finally picked up this player yesterday and will give my first impressions of it. First let me say that I am no audiophile but I know what sounds good to me. In playing standard CD's this player sounds good- better than my 9 year old Nakamichi MB-3 and as good as my Sony DVP-S7700. I am running this through a DSP-A1 and am using Boston Acoustic VR-M60's, VR-MC, VR-MX's, and a SVS 20-39PC. I have not hooked it into the 6 channel input on the the back of the A1 so I haven't heard the DVD-A capabilities of this player yet. I am going to pick up some cables this afternoon and will report back on that later. I did buy the Queen "A Night at the Opera" DTS/DVD-A disc yesterday. This was my first crack at multichannel audio and I did not like the DTS version on the disc- it sounded a little "fake" for lack of a better word so hoping for a better experience with DVD-A. I will also say that I did not spend a lot of time tweaking my system yesterday so I may get much better results with the DTS disc after more adjustments. In watching DVD movies last night I am impressed so far with the video quality. Compared to the 7700 the picture seemed sharper and more detailed on my NTSC set (Sony KP53V80) using the CX1. I am looking at getting a HDTV set in first QTR of 2003 so until then I can't comment on the progressive ability of this player. Overall I have to say this is pretty decent player. I'm not sure why Yamaha discontinued this model so soon after introduction unless it was to make a universal player available but if you can find one on closeout it is worth taking a serious look at. I can't say I would ever have paid the msrp for it but at $500 it is a good buy and when I am ready to make the move to SACD I can pick up a reasonably priced player and have the best of both worlds;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks