What's new

Yamaha DVD-C920 no bass! (1 Viewer)

Mark Zielinski

Auditioning
Hey guys,
I've just picked up the Yamaha DVD-C920, mainly because it plays DVD-Audio. I've hooked it up with 6 Ultralink cables from the discrete analog audio out out of the player to the receiver's inputs, then use the 6-Ch Input mode when listening to DVD-Audio. Pretty standard procedure.
Anyway I've got Linkin Park's Reanimation in DVDA, and I used to listen to it with my older DVD Player, just through the 5.1 Dolby Digital (optical).
Basically now what I've found is that I get next to NO bass from any of the tracks through the subwoofer, in comparison to when I listened to the compressed tracks. It doesn't seem so much that the subwoofer isn't outputting enough dB, it's like it isn't handling any of the lower frequencies, that it seems to be outputting the same signal that's going to the mains almost.
I realize that now all the bass management is handled by the DVD Player, but it doesn't have a whole lot of options in the Setup, and I've pretty much tried them all. All cables are hooked up correctly.

If anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate em

Thanks,

Mark

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Mark,
First thing to check is that your speaker set-up is correct, ensure all (well for me anyway by choice) speakers are set to small, see if that has any affect, secondly see if there is an onboard crossover in the DVD players audio set-up section and ensure it's set properly. Is there an option for speaker configuration under the multi channel set-up ?
Also check the following if applicable...

Audio Channel = Multi
Source direct = Off
Bass enhancement = On
Compression = Off
SACD/DVD-A Filter = 100 Hz if receiver is capable.

Check the speaker output levels and speaker setup on the receiver itself, it may have defaulted to factory settings if you've never used the six channel direct inputs and isn't sending out the appropriate multi-channel signal to the speakers thus dispersing/eliminating the bass instead of sending it to the proper channel...

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I am not familiar with your player, but many hi-rez players have had level issues with the .1 channel. I would second Steve's suggestion to double check levels with a test disc, such as Avia, or better still, the Chesky Ultimate DVD which has DVD-A test tones.

Here is a FAQ that discuses the issue:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...22#post1800722

A useful test would be to play your Linkin Park disc's DD tracks via your new player through the 5.1 analog outs. I would wager that the low end will be weak or non-existent there too.

BGL

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speaker size selections in your player, since you are using the player to do BM, will affect your bass as well. If you have all your speakers set to large and sub to LFE only, you will also get little or no bass.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
To expound a bit on what Brian said, most DVD-A players output the LFE channel about 10dB too low. Definitely put Avia or Video Essentials in your player and calibrate everything from there...

Mark Zielinski

Auditioning
I've done most of this stuff, such as changing speaker sizes to small for all speakers, and nothing really changes. I don't have Avia/Video Essentials, but I suppose I'll have to pick it up soon.
Also I don't see any way to change the crossover frequency on the DVD player, but I'll check my receiver and see if it has any settings for the 6-Ch Input.

Thanks for suggestions!

-Mark

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Not likely on both counts. Just speculating here, but only higher priced players offer crossover settings, and almost no AVR's do any processing on the 6CH inputs.

Here's another thought....lacking Avia or VE, do you have a DVD that is THX certified? If so, the THX optimizer would allow you to run test tones, which include the .1 channel. That would help, although I seem to recall that those test tones and not known to be accurate. Still, if you get no sub signal with that, even with the sub channel gain boosted at least 10dB, then its safe to say its a set-up, not calibration issue.

As have said before in other threads, no bass and low bass are not the same thing.

Keep us posted.

BGL

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

As an alternative, most (if not all) DVD-A players can output test tones for the individual channels. If yours has this capability, run the tones from the DVD player (and NOT the receiver's test tones!) and calibrate from there...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks