What's new

Yamaha DVD-1500 (1 Viewer)

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I have sent an email to Yamaha asking what bass management will be available on this new model. I'll post Yamaha's response when I get it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also looking forward to their answer. I am going to be in the market for a nice, affordable Uni player (don't want to spend too little at the cost of losing performance, ala the 563A, but can't afford to break the bank, ala Denon 5900).

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Right now I'm debating a Denon 2200 - new, or a maybe a refurbished Denon 2900. I'm not big on refurbished stuff though, but the 2900 would be awesome (although it might be overkill with my Marantz SR5400). Either way, I'm hoping the Yamaha is a good unit, it will be closer to the amount of money I should spend! :)

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
Unless there's a major price difference between the Y1500 and the Denon 2200 - I'd go with the Denon. Love it.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
There's a 200$ retail advantage for the Yamaha, and that's a lot of new music. I don't doubt the Denon is very nice, but sometimes budgets need to be respected.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Here's what I got for a response, I don't think he really covered my question..............

The SACD format is based on DSD-recording-technology, which uses 1-bit
delta-sigma modulation and a sampling frequency that is 64 times higher
than that of the CD. This enables the SACD format to offer a frequency
response of 100KHz and a dynamic range of 120 dB across the audible
range that allows for true reproduction of original source material
without the omission of any naturally occurring sounds.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
????

That didnt answer anything. You should ask if there is a selectable x-over freq, and what the selections are.

We already know that you can set the channels to large or small. We also know that there is a subwoofer options screen. We just dont know what the options are.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
That is exactly what I did ask, I take his response as bad news, he doesn't want to tell me what it is, so I'm for now assuming it is probably too high, whatever it is set at. I responded back to him, re-asking my question, we'll see what he says this time.....

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The 2300 has settings of 100hz for DVD-A and 90hz for SACD, fixed, with, I think, though not sure, different slopes (a more gentle one for SACD). I think it likely the 1500 will have the same setup, as it's the easiest thing for them to do. Oh well, my receiver lets me set crossovers on the multichannel inputs, (though it re-digitizes the signal) so if I go with this player, I'll try all the various permutations.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
I just got this response back after asking him again what the crossover frequency is.....

The base management Cut-off frequency 40 kHz (Subwoof) for this model

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
40Hz, I assume, not kHz (which would be really high). Which, even if it is 40Hz, that is really kind of low. Aren't they usually between 60-120Hz?

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Yeah, that's what I was thinking! I'm not sure the dude knows for sure what I'm asking, even though it seems like a simple question to me.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit
At least he is responding to your questions.

Ask him this:

In the on-screen "GUI" set-up, there is a catagory (menu) called "SUBWOOFER MODE". What options (selections) are available within the SUBWOOFER MODE menu.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
It doesn't look like he is going to respond to me any more. My guess is this dude doesn't know the answer to my question.......

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
hehe, yes please! Someone! I'd also love to know if there is no DSD to PCM conversion :D

Rob, where'd you see it on sale at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks