What's new

Yamaha DSP (1 Viewer)

ChrisJJ

Agent
I think the receiver sounds very good as a pre-amp for music. In another thread I described my results with the V630 and the need for separate amplification, at least with my inefficient speakers. I was surprised at how much improvement was made by utilizing those line-outs on the back! ;) Seriously, I'm very pleased at how much I don't notice the receiver at all. In my move to HT, I abandoned a dedicated 2 ch system with a Hafler pre-amp and NAD amps. I expected a major step down in 2 ch. for the benefits of 5.1 movies. The Yamaha has admirably stood up to the challenge and left me content. No upgrade bug nibbling at my toes. :D
As for what modes I use, currently, for music I only use Stereo. I briefly experimented with DPLII(music), but it didn't do much for me. Actually, as I think back, all my playing with the surround modes was when I first got the unit. At that time I only had a separate amp for my mains. Now that I have a 5 channel amp, I should give those modes a second listen. Considering how much the total sound improved with the separates, those modes may leave a very different impression on me.
OK, this weekend I hope it is rainy and I'm stuck inside!
Chris

Cyrus_I

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris, what exactly are seperates and which ones do you have? Also, I have the RX-V530 right now and am considering the upgrade to 630. What do you think the most noticeable differences are between the two models and does the 630 sound significantly better?

Cheers

Cyrus_I

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris I actually just checked your past posts and I was wondering how did the sound compare between the Yamaha RX-V630 and Denon AVR 1802?

Cheers

ChrisJJ

Agent
Cyrus,

I guess if you read my past posts, then you have seen my reasons for the 630 vs. the 530/730 models here. Basically, I needed the pre-outs to handle a 2 channel separate amp (NAD 214) that I din't want to go to waste. As it turned out, the difference in sound from the onboard amps was so big that I "had" to bypass the Yamaha power section for every channel. The difference is REALLY big. It doesn't help that I have relatively inefficient speakers, so they really need a decent amount of power. 80WPC from a solid external would be sufficient, but either the Yamaha overstates their power on this unit, or at least the power it has is not very clean sounding. Read my posts for a description of the differences.

I never listened to the Denon or H/Ks. I hear good things.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks