Yamaha DSP

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cyrus_I, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Cyrus_I

Cyrus_I Stunt Coordinator

Hey there,

Just wondering what Movie Theater modes you guys use along with Digital or DTS when watching movies.

Cheers

2. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

Not to be flip, but what ever floats yer boat. But seriously, it depends on your room acoustics, the movie, and your ears. Every person has different tastes so play around till you find what you like for the given material. That's the beauty of Yamaha-they give you different choices of DSPs to suit a variety of tastes.
    Have fun!

3. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I used to have a Yamaha receiver wasn't bad but I thought the DSP's were a waste of time, I just used regular and maybe sometimes I'd use enhanced, and i think once I watched a football game with TV sports on. Most other companies don't have tons of dsp's on there products cause they know there not much use. My friend has a Yamaha and brought that up to me one day he says why do they have all these sound modes there all stupid I had to agree with him. But to each his own I guess.

Daniel Smith

4. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

I have the front effects speakers hooked in and enjoy movies with the wide enhanced on. Adds a much bigger soundstage in front

5. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Having had several Yamaha receivers (now using the RX-V1), I certainly feel that the dsp section is a worthwhile addition. Contrary to the above post, most of the companies participating in Home theater receivers DO have a lot of some sort of dsp. Understanding them and knowing how to adjust their parameters sometimes can be a little confusing.

That being said, I also find myself selecting through only a handful of these but almost always find something that sounds better than the "standard" format. And that depends on the source media itself. On most movies, I find that the Spectacle mode really widens the soundfield. On concert dvds, I usually run somewhere between the rock concert dsps or the concert video dsps yet sometimes the standard dts or dd track sound the best and strongest.

Yamaha, as well as a lot of companies, have gone to a lot of expense to develop these dsps, regardless whether we use them or not. HT is not a chocolate or vanilla hobby but one of tastes and refined tastes, so choices are really necessary.

Now, whether you use them or not is up to your ears.

6. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

Sorry Donny,
    Guess I meant Yamaha puts alot of R&D into their DSPs to make them sound like actual places, not cheap echo chambers like alot of the DSPs are on other company's products. Most every brand of receiver do have multiple DSPs, but I don't think they do as good a job as Yamaha. I think they're slapped together without much thought so they can say they have them. I currently own an RX-V3000 and use many of the modes for DVDs and, dare I say, music. I haven't had it for too long so I haven't had a chance to sit down and tweak them for my room acoustics.

7. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had a Yamaha RX-V793 receiver (as a pre/pro) for a while. But because I wanted the flexibility of separates, I switched to a Sony TA-E9000ES pre/pro. Even though the Sony cost twice as much, I *still* much preferred the DSP algorythms on the Yamaha. If Yammie ever did a pre/pro, I'd switch in a second.

9. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yamaha, as well as a lot of companies, have gone to a lot of expense to develop these dsps, regardless whether we use them or not. HT is not a chocolate or vanilla hobby but one of tastes and refined tastes, so choices are really necessary.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess the question is, does anyone really want to hear
    the accoustics of a church or hall? Most of them are
    bad, unless people like echos. The ONLY beneficial
    accoustic behaviour IMO, is the ability of a large theatre
    room to contain bass. It cannot be duplicated in a home
    theater whereas everything else sounds better in a home
    theater.
    Speaking of chocolate or vanilla, notice these ice cream
    places that advertise 31 flavours or something to that effect generally have about 25 flavours as variants of chocolate and vanilla?

------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------
    Yamaha trademarked the phrase "Digital Soundfield Proccesing", however, they didn't realize that, after creating this well received technology, other companies would notice and capatalize on the fact that the acronym "dsp" was NOT trademarked and thus in a manner of flattery "digital signal processing" became prevalent in many braNDS OF RCVRS.....
    "Yea, Joe ,throw some echo and reverb together and call it "studio", the idiots will think it's just like the programs Yamaha created after processing HUNDREDS of hours of music and sweeps in dozens of acousticly distinct and specific venues".............
    If those members who have spent half as much time initializing Yamaha's parameters in their rooms as they haVE spent "dialing-in" the phase of their subwoofer would care to comment then we may get some enlightening responses on how rewarding these modes can be.....

10. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I use the adventure and spectacle settings on my Yamaha RX-V1300. I'm still wondering how to mess with things and not wreak too much havoc on it.

11. John Doroshenk

I think all their dsp's sound like they are labeled, jazz club sounds like a jazz club, church hall sounds like a church hall. But I guess I'm missing the point of these. When exactly would you ever want to listen to anything in a church hall mode. Unless you are some very religous person who has sermons on dvd and want that "inside a church feel", I don't see anyone actually using it. I got my 1300 about a month ago, and besides the oh wow, that sounds like a church hall feeling the first time flipping through these things, I never checked them out again. I do like the movie settings. They do sound very nice. I find myself going through all the movie settings plus the dts/dd settings till I find something that sounds appealing to my ears for that movie. But most of the time, I stay with the DD/DTS setting normal.

Has anyone sat down and messured the output in these DSP's with a sound meter. Are they still calibrated? I calibrated my speakers when I first got my reciever, not knowing much about it and not sure what setting I was in when I did it. I haven't had much time to play with it and messure them all to see which setting is the best or if the levels stay true. Anyone know?

But I do love my yammy

John

12. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

John, how about Gregorian chants sung in a church?
    a three piece jazz band inside a jazz club?
    an orchestra in a concert hall?
    a lone female vocalist at the "Bottom Line Club"?

13. John Doroshenk

The jazz club I can see, it sounds really good. I've never tried any chant cd's, but normal stuff in the church hall settings sound like an over echoed church hall, not sure that it would be that great, I'm basing this off of no experience so its only speculation. Having just got this reciever with the DSP's I haven't had much time to try it out. I'll try them out again tonight. I have some classical music that I'll try in concert hall mode. I'm establishing my thoughts on other types of cd's and television sound, so it probably isn't the best opionion yet. I'll report tomorrow on my thoughts with classical in concert hall dsp as opposed to other dsps.

John

14. ChrisJJ

ChrisJJ Agent

15. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Chris, I respectfully disagree, while the DSP'S CAN BE somewhat "hit-or-miss", they can also work very well with many live recordings,just as some recording engineers and the right equipment can bring to life some of these venues in stereo, some can not...the real challenge lies in reading and understanding the parameters that can be adjusted for the specifics of your listening area....Of course ,there is always the best test; when I TURN on the DSP'S AND it sounds better, It's working great...when it sounds better in stereo, that's where I leave it...

16. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

>The Gregorian chants were probably recorded in the church so the DSP just muddies the recording.<

Chris,

like you, I normally prefer 2-channel stereo for serious music listening, which is why I ended up with McIntosh equipment. However, I used to own the RX-V1 and had the following experience. I have a cd of Bach's Toccatta and Fugue in d that was recorded in the great cathedral in Muenster. When I played this through the cathedral (large church) program (which was derived from measurements made in the very same cathedral), the organ came to life in my living room.

Like Matt, I found that, when available, a proper match between dsp program and recorded material added a new dimension to the sound.

Marty

17. John Doroshenk

Well I spent most of last night going through my classical cd's and switching between dsp's and normal stereo. My conclusion, it all depends on the recording. So now I can understand that there is a point to them. I'm new to the world of Yammaha DSP's and its vastly superior to my old JVC and Sony receivers, those just sounded like complete crap. I think because of that, I immediately debunked use of all DSP's, now I'm not so sure. I think every recording will require different setups.

18. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

"Jazz" and "Hall" and "Church" etc, are OLD DSP modes that
    many receivers used to have. The newer DSP modes such as
    6.1 Matrix on my Sony or 70mm Adventure in Yamaha's arsenal
    can be very good because you can adjust the parameters
    in some cases. This allows you to overlay as much "effect"
    on regular DD or DTS as you'd like. You can often find
    a more open sounding method of playing DD or DTS if the DSP
    modes are half decent.

19. ChrisJJ

ChrisJJ Agent

Like John D, I think I may have to go back and re-explore the DSP programs. My early experiments were unsatisfying and so I wrote it off as a gimick. So let me ask a few questions of those who seem to use the DSP a lot,

1) I have a lower level Yamaha (RX-V630), is the DSP of the caliber of the more expensive units? (I externally amp the thing so the 630 is just a pre-pro)

2) Generally, I listen to a CD hundreds of times over years and years, but I only watch a movie a couple of times. I guess figuring out what mode for a CD and remembering to switch for that CD is reasonable, but for movies, that means watching the movie multiple times to figure out the best mode. Do people watch movies more times than I do, or do you keep switching modes while watching the movie? It seems that constantly tweaking settings on the amp would be more distracting than someone talking in the theater. Is that just me?

I'd love to learn more, so advice on how to go about things would be helpful.

Chris

20. Cyrus_I

Cyrus_I Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

What modes do you listen to your cds in? And also, aren't you tired of hearing people saying that the Yamaha's don't sound so good with music. I think they're amazing and much more clearer than other recievers.

Cheers