Yamaha DSP-A1, want to upgrade to 6.1!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Ball, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Craig Ball

Craig Ball Second Unit

Subject pretty much says it. Is there any way to upgrade to a rear center channel without replacing my A-1? The only option i've seen is parasound has an add on unit but it doesn't look to impressive, any opinions? Is there any other way to do this or will i just have to break down and buy a new reciever? (Hope Not)
    Thanks
    Craig

2. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Try the SMART Devices CS-3X jr. add-on processor. You will need an additional power amplifier and a speaker, but from all reports the unit is excellent. ADA also make an add-on unit called the ADA 6.1 Surround.
    Adam

3. John H

John H Second Unit

The Smart and Parasound units use the exact same circle surround technology.
    The Parasound adds a remote control for basic functions.
    I have used both the Parasound and ADA units in the past. Between the two I would suggest the Parasound unit.
    John
    ------------------
    Bedroom Based Theater
    [Edited last by John H on October 14, 2001 at 05:16 PM]

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You could also add a Dolby Pro Logic processor. Similar idea to the Smart and ADA boxes.
    Yamaha DSR-70 Pro, DSR-100 Pro, Sony SDP-777ES, Lexicon, Fosgate, Pioneer, etc.
    I am currently using a Shure HTS-5300. A processor from 1989-1992. Judged state of the art way back then. Originally listed for $1200. I got it for $60 (!) on ebay a few months ago. That's far cheaper than the $200 - $300 you'll pay for a new Smart or ADA.
    ------------------