Yamaha DSP-A1 going to Denon 3805, opinions ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Fernando.P, Jul 20, 2004.

1. Fernando.P

Fernando.P Auditioning

I´m thinking to upgrade my Yamaha DSP-A1 to Denon 3805, what do you think about it ?

There is a better choice ?

Regards,
    Fernando

2. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Fernando,

I recently upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V640 to the Denon AVR-3805 and am very pleased with my purchase.
    I would recommend that you also listen to the Yamaha 2400, and the comparable Pioneer Elite (55TXi?)and any others you can find. Pick one and do a search on this forum for posts on each. Just remember, all of these will be opinions, your decision should be based on what sounds good to you.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I don’t understand why you would want to downgrade from a flagship model to a mid-line product.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

I made this very move about a month ago. My honest opinion is that the Denon is very nice and has many features that the DSP-A1 does not but in MY system and MY room I think the Yamaha sounds better. I put my DSP-A1 in the shop to have the motor on the volume knob rplaced as it was sticking the day after I bought the 3805 so I have not been able to do head to head listening tests to confirm my initial feeling. I have had the A1 for 5 years and other than the volume control sticking when using the remote, and it is very rare that it happens, I have had no problems with it. It is an excellent piece of gear. I did want something new to play with so I have no regrets in my purchase and I will use the Yamaha in my secondary system. I got the Denon at a sale at my local dealer for about 20% off so it was an attractive deal. Bottom line is that if the features of the 3805 are not essential in your system or if it would be a financial burden to get the Denon I would recommend keeping the DSP-A1. Just my opinion....

As info I am using 5 Boston Acoustic VR-M60 speakers and a SVS 20-39PC sub. I have both a Denon 2900 DVD and a Yamaha CX-1 DVD player.

5. Fernando.P

Fernando.P Auditioning

The main reason for the change is that i have DSP-A1 for last 5 years and i sense the need for a new thing with some improvements..

- component in/out
    - 24 bit, 192 kHz A/D conversion (Burr-Brown)
    - ProLogicIIx
    - 7x channels

I know the DSP-A1 is a state-of-art receiver, but i feel that my route is going to be a receiver + power.

I did some tests with Yamaha 2400, but seems like something is missing, so i tried Z1, GREAT one, but it was expensive for me, right now...so...here we go with Denon this time.

I have B&W 603, 601, CC6 and a Mirage subwoofer.

Regards,
    Fernando

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

*cough* Rotel *cough cough*.

If sound quality is important to you, it will be a step above what you have on your short list (Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer Elite) sonically, especially with the B&Ws...the two go hand in hand.